This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with DVD to xbox with reauthored DVD

I have several reauthored dvds that I wish to transfer to a file I can play on my xbox.

The issue is with the sound. The finished file has sound that skips in the beginning and then is off several seconds for the rest of the movie.

I have noticed that when dvd fab opens, in the preview pane, 5 seconds or so in, the sound starts skipping, which is what happens in the final file. When I click on dvd to dvd the sound does not skip, only when I want to convert the dvd to xbox.

Also, when the file is finished being made, dvd fab does not recognize that it is finished. It shows that the proccess is 100% completed, but the timer keeps ticking like it is waiting for something. I have left it all night and come in in the morning, the process is still running with a time of 15 hours or something. I have to hit cancel to get it to stop. The finished file is playable, but the sound skips at the beginning and is off for the rest of the film.

These are all movies that I have taken out of my collection and ripped to my computer with dvd fab, then stripped the sound and video files out with dvd decryptor, added a rifftrax audio track to and then put back together with ifoedit. I then use dvd shrink to make a dvd copy. these dvds all play fine on any dvd player, but for some reason dvd fab has issues with the sound.

Is there a setting or something that I need to change?

Originally posted by Edgewriter View Post
    I have several reauthored dvds that I wish to transfer to a file I can play on my xbox.

The issue is with the sound. The finished file has sound that skips in the beginning and then is off several seconds for the rest of the movie.

I have noticed that when dvd fab opens, in the preview pane, 5 seconds or so in, the sound starts skipping, which is what happens in the final file. When I click on dvd to dvd the sound does not skip, only when I want to convert the dvd to xbox.

Also, when the file is finished being made, dvd fab does not recognize that it is finished. It shows that the proccess is 100% completed, but the timer keeps ticking like it is waiting for something. I have left it all night and come in in the morning, the process is still running with a time of 15 hours or something. I have to hit cancel to get it to stop. The finished file is playable, but the sound skips at the beginning and is off for the rest of the film.

These are all movies that I have taken out of my collection and ripped to my computer with dvd fab, then stripped the sound and video files out with dvd decryptor, added a rifftrax audio track to and then put back together with ifoedit. I then use dvd shrink to make a dvd copy. these dvds all play fine on any dvd player, but for some reason dvd fab has issues with the sound.

Is there a setting or something that I need to change?

I'm not sure how you're accomplishing what you are with what you are using, but here is what should happen for DVDFab to handle your 're-authored' discs properly.

1.) Remove copy protections with DVDFab (as in rip the disc).
    2.) Strip the VOBs of all ID and nav. data (convert to straight MPEG files).
    3.) Combine all the individual .mpg files to one large one.
    4.) De-multiplex the large file, separating the audio & video streams.
    5.) Convert the audio you are adding from whatever it is to Dolby Digital (.ac3).
    6.) You'll need an authoring program for the next steps...Re-Multiplex the video, original audio, and converted new audio streams into one large file.
    7.) Author the large remuxed file for DVD format (will include any newly created menus), and will generate any needed .IFO and .BUP files.

DVDFab will be able to handle this and convert it or whatever else you need done.

The only thing I'm not sure how you're going to do is to set up any timing on your added audio so it only plays when you want it to, while the original audio continues to play anyways.

DC

Comment

reauthor

This is the method I use which is a bit simpler.

Use DVD fab to rip the dvd.

Use DVD Decrypter to demux the video and audio into an m-peg (video) and ac-3 file (Audio).
      I use belight to convert the ac-3 file to mpg.
      Use audacity to splice the rifftrax and original sound together, and use ffmpeg to convert the finished mpeg back to ac3.
      Then I use IFOedit to make these files into a dvd.
      I use dvdshrink to burn the dvd.
      The finished dvd works in any dvd player.

Up until a few months ago DVD fab had no problems taking that finished dvd and converting it into the xbox format. I did it with several different movies.

But recently I have seen this bug where the sound skips for a few seconds at the beginning and then is off the rest of the movie when dvdfab converts it.

By the way, Audacity does a great job mixing the sound files together. It is quite easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgewriter View Post
        This is the method I use which is a bit simpler.

Use DVD fab to rip the dvd.

Use DVD Decrypter to demux the video and audio into an m-peg (video) and ac-3 file (Audio).
        I use belight to convert the ac-3 file to mpg.
        Use audacity to splice the rifftrax and original sound together, and use ffmpeg to convert the finished mpeg back to ac3.
        Then I use IFOedit to make these files into a dvd.
        I use dvdshrink to burn the dvd.
        The finished dvd works in any dvd player.

Up until a few months ago DVD fab had no problems taking that finished dvd and converting it into the xbox format. I did it with several different movies.

But recently I have seen this bug where the sound skips for a few seconds at the beginning and then is off the rest of the movie when dvdfab converts it.

By the way, Audacity does a great job mixing the sound files together. It is quite easy.

OK...I don't know if this will prove to be a fix or not... you might try converting the audio track, once all splices are made, to an LPCM audio (Linear Pulse Code Modulation), which should play from the start all the way through...whatever the timing marks on the audio tracks...

I suspect that the spliced in portion, missing the timing marks that the original audio track has, is confusing the newest Fab converter, and causing your audio problems.

As long as you start with a short section of the original audio, which will align the video and audio timing marks when you re-mux, it may, as I say, fix the problem.

You'll have the added advantage of still being within DVD specs for the audio, and will allow for at least a Stereo audio track (not sure whether LPCM supports any more than Stereo).

Let me know how this works.

DC

Comment

HAve you tried an older version of Fab?
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            HAve you tried an older version of Fab?
            no I haven't.

Some of the dvds I do, need the newer version in order to rip it at all. can I still download dvdfab 5 and still use the newest versions?

Comment

Yes, you can install & run a copy of each major version (3,4,5,6)on the same computer.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                Yes, you can install & run a copy of each major version (3,4,5,6)on the same computer.
                Great! how do I download dvdfab 5?

Comment

Try http://www.oldapps.com/dvdfab.php

You will also have to request a Ver 5 key via email from the Fab website as the keys changed between 5 & 6.

Comment

Fixed

Well, I found out that the issue I was having only happens if I try to convert the file from a dvd disk or image file that was mounted in a ghost drive. When ripped to regular dvd files, the program converts it just fine without the audio skip at the beginning.

This works with the newest version as well.
                    Thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

I suggest that you have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread (link below) to make sure that you are optimising your chances of a good conversion.

Comment

Working...
                      X