This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu Ray Burner Recommendation

I have been using DVD Fab for the last three years and have my entire DVD library ripped to *.vob files on USB drives plugged into my PS3 which I use as my media player. Playback has been easy and flawless.

I am now looking at figuring out how to do the same for Blu-Ray.

The first thing I am looking for is getting a Blu Ray burner that works well with DVD Fab software.

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Moved thread to General Questions and welcome to the forum drevil.

Comment

I don't have one yet, but for the price, this looks dandy...

It's further reduced to $84.99 with the email promo code...free shipping too.
      64% of the reviews give it 5 eggs...
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I think the op was interested in a Blu-ray burner.

Comment

Originally posted by W&B View Post
          I think the op was interested in a Blu-ray burner.
          Yup...
          Hey W&B, put on your bifocals and join the rest of us old farts

//Edit OOOPs...spoke too soon did I?...

Thanks for watching my back!
          Last edited by maineman; 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

That is just a Blu-ray reader and a DVD burner combo, right?

Comment

Yeah, you're right W&B.
              I guess I was late with my edit and you didn't catch it.

Thanks again for catching my mistake

Comment

Yep, I posted before the edit, jumped the gun there lol

Comment

I think most are keeping their Blurays on a Hard drive. At least I am, the media is way to expensive, and I can buy a 1 TB hdd for less than $100. I can 30 Bluray movies on a 1Tb hdd, maybe more if I do movie only. Same as discs but I can delete one or burn it if I really like it. There arent many Blurays that I cant buy at Walmart almost for the same price it would cost me to burn them LOL.
                  Programmer in Python,Java,JavaScript,Swift,PHP,SQL,C#,C++,Go,R

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleon View Post
                    I think most are keeping their Blurays on a Hard drive. At least I am, the media is way to expensive, and I can buy a 1 TB hdd for less than $100. I can 30 Bluray movies on a 1Tb hdd, maybe more if I do movie only. Same as discs but I can delete one or burn it if I really like it. There arent many Blurays that I cant buy at Walmart almost for the same price it would cost me to burn them LOL.
                    An excellent point and that's my thinking as well.
                    A 1 TB hdd is relatively cheap these days and this seems the only reasonably economic way to archive BR.

The LG BR reader/DVD burner that I mistakenly posted above...... is looking better and better...

Comment

The one I have is $180 at newegg with free shipping and media http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...6&Tpk=wh08ls20 so far has worked very well for me.
                      AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @3960MHz
                      4G Geil ddr2 1066 (5-5-5-15) @1120MHz
                      ASUS M3N HT Deluxe Nvidia 780a chipset
                      2 XFX 9800GT SLI driver 197.45
                      LG WH08LS20 BD drive firmware updated
                      Windows7 Professional x64

Comment

I agree that hdd is cheaper in terms of storing data and the op did say playing back was the goal just like DVD but the problem is with Blu-ray, I don't think the PS3 will support DTS HD through the usb port if using a hdd.
                        Only choices for playback is on your computer with software that supports Blu-ray or burning to blank media.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation for the drive. I am hoping that ps3 will eventually update to support direct playing of *.m2ts files which simplifies my system in not needing a media center.

Packing up my ps3 or xbox360 and a portable USB drive is very convenient when on travel/vacation.

I am hoping that in future update DVDFab will support a "BluRay to mobile" function, then i would be golden. No middle man media center needed.

I will use a media center for now. TVersity was easy to get up and running on an old throw away laptop and streamed *.vob files as good as my usb library connected to ps3.

Any thoughts on which media center would be best for streaming *.m2ts? I only downloaded TVersity as a test case.

Comment

Working...
                          X