Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editing Meta info before ripping / creation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing Meta info before ripping / creation?

So after going through most of my 600 dvd / blu rays and digitizing them, I been using the MKV container, which apparently suffers from not being able to change meta info after creation of the file, as with MP4 you can create the file, if ya misspelled the movie or didn't add something to it, you can change it at anytime, not with MKV though.
    So my question is, is there a way to change the meta info in dvdfab prior to creation of the file? if so, how?
    When inserting a movie disc, I noticed the M by the name, it doesn't allow ya to edit anything other than the name of the movie and on TV show disc, there is nothing at all to allow ya to edit the meta info, such as name, year, episode name and so on.
    Only reason I am asking, is when adding shows to Plex or Kodi, if ya misspell a name or put something else wrong before creating the file, then the programs won't recognize the movie or show and only editing it manually through plex will your file be shown right.

Anyways thanks for any info and if this doesn't exist, will there ever be an update that will allow us to do so?

I noticed that issue with Plex and MP4 or MKV files too. Since 90% of the time I wasn't interested in all the additional features of a disc I just ripped everything to an AVI container. As an AVI container Plex recognized them just fine, and if I mislabeled it you can go in and rename it anytime and Plex will pick it up.

The typical disc names I use for example are:
    A Christmas Carol (1938) - BD
    The Outer Limits (1995) - s04e01 Criminal Nature

I hope this helps, I don't know if it is the proper way to do it or not but it has been working for me. If there are other suggestions, I am all ears. As my library is over 4000 discs now and anything to make things easier would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkore View Post
      I noticed that issue with Plex and MP4 or MKV files too. Since 90% of the time I wasn't interested in all the additional features of a disc I just ripped everything to an AVI container. As an AVI container Plex recognized them just fine, and if I mislabeled it you can go in and rename it anytime and Plex will pick it up.

The typical disc names I use for example are:
      A Christmas Carol (1938) - BD
      The Outer Limits (1995) - s04e01 Criminal Nature

I hope this helps, I don't know if it is the proper way to do it or not but it has been working for me. If there are other suggestions, I am all ears. As my library is over 4000 discs now and anything to make things easier would be awesome.
      Ok yeah I name my movies the same way,

22 Jump Street (2014).mkv

but with TV shows i just name them as such

Mental S01 E01.mp4

and for older shows i did with the AVI container, i have been lately converting them all to MP4. Most of the tv shows or movies are recognized no matter the container used, except those few random ones, such as an old show I had,

Reaper S01 E01 - Pilot.avi

Which refused to show anything other than how the file was named, most other shows will show accordingly and give the episode its name, but this show is the reason i decided to convert all my old shows to MP$ so i could edit the meta info, making it so no matter what, now the show shows correctly.

So hope they add an option to edit the meta info of the file prior to creation, this would be great, the program would do the same thing plex or Kodi does, connect to the server, download meta info and add it to the files pre-creation.

Comment

Working...
      X