No announcement yet.

Encode Speed on Threadripper 1950x?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Encode Speed on Threadripper 1950x?

My current specs are as follows:

MSI X99A Xpower AC Mobo
    Intel Xeon 1650-V4 - 6 Core 12 Thread running at max turbo freq 4.0Ghz
    CPU Cooling - Corsair H100i GTX AIO push/pull
    4x8GB Mushkin DDR4 @ 2400
    MSI Lightning Z 1080Ti Video Card (don't do gpu encoding though)

I already have a new MSI X399 Carbon AC mobo (threadripper), about to buy my 1950x 16core cpu. My question is this, how much better encoding will there be switching to the new setup?

I do a full rip of each disc and encode from iso, no matter where my iso resides either on SSD or Mechanical (WD Red or WD Black). I get roughly 15-25FPS encoding.

Does anyone have a 1950x or threadripper setup that can tell me their FPS encode speed? I disable all gpu encoding, just prefer the quality and reliability of CPU only encoding.

Attached are my quality settings, basically as high as it can go at h265 10bit hvec. Still see about 30% drop in file size with noticeable visual quality over H264
    Attached Files

All right so threadripper 1950x installed on msi x399 pro gaming carbon ac. same memory installed for now. using the h100i gtx AIO water cooler until my noctua tr4 140mm heatsink and dual fan setup gets delivered in 3 days. so far without any overclocking it gets roughly 35-40fps. so more then double the encoding performance

Comment

I tried 1950x with DVDFab, The biggest problem is it does not look like DVDFab takes into account the higher core counts. From my testing, I was able to see it loading up about 12 threads of work, and nothing more. So anything over 12 threads, it simply does not benefit from.

Simply put, the 1950x runs @ 3.4GHz natively, and my 7700k OC'ed to 4.8GHz out performs the 1950x, even with a 4GHz overclock.

I am sort of a power user.

I am running the Asus Zenith Extreme, 1950x, 4 x 16GB of DDR4-3333, NVMe SSD, 1080Ti, etc etc

I am more curious if their new 64-bit release actually benefits on higher core counts, maybe the 32-bit version was limited to how many cores it could use, because of the 32-bit addressing. Are there any plans on allowing more threads to work?

Thoughts?

Comment

its at over 50% load on all 32 threads for me. running mine at 4ghz all cores locked, cpu voltage at 1.36

edit: since the images are super tiny and useless, let me link them

settings - https://i.imgur.com/aAWiCUv.jpg
        performance - https://i.imgur.com/gqpsCn6.jpg
        Last edited by hoxlund; 11-03-2017, 11:52 PM.

Comment

ohh btw, this week I switched to a new cpu cooler. got rid of the h100i gtx and instead installed the Noctua 140mm tr4

I just purchased the xspc raystorm threadripper black chrome water block today

Comment

Working...
          X