Wishing DVDFab Used More CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Wishing DVDFab Used More CPU

Using v10.0.6.8 x64, encoding from a DVD ISOs (MPEG-2) to h265 using CPU encoding (I could do CUDA encoding, but CRF encoding seems to produce a better output than CUDA).

What I'm wondering is why DVDFab doesn't take advantage of all the CPU power it has available to it. It's configured to use 8 cores (quad-core CPU + hyperthreading), so why does CPU usage sit in the 70s% range? Wouldn't it be getting higher FPS if it took advantage of all available CPU power? Why doesn't it use the entire CPU?

Would encoding potentially run faster if DVDFab was set to 4 cores instead of 8 (so it'd ignore hyperthreading)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fab.png
Views:	523
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	344943
    Last edited by SenorCardgage; 11-26-2017, 12:28 AM.

Hello,

1. Please switch to Performance window, take a screenshot and post it here.

2. Please post dvdfab_internal.log file.

Regards,
    mona

Comment

Here is the performance tab during encoding. Attached is the log - I had to compress it and trim it substantially for it to fit.

Name:	taskman2.png
Views:	514
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	345099

Comment

Utilization looks even worse with v10.0.7.0 x64. Fab is configured to use all cores.

Name:	fabuse1.png
Views:	470
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	345710

Comment

Just a quick note on this... The issue seems to only occur when encoding to a low resolution (standard def). If I use a higher resolution like 720p, it does max out the CPU. Why is that? If I have a DVD as the source, I can't choose a higher resolution, so I'm always limited to DVDFab using 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the CPU power available.

Comment

Working...
          X