This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Not Selected Update ???

I have a query, NOT a complaint, just don't know what it is.

If someone PREFERABLY ''gregiboy'' could explain it please?

I copied a couple of new DVDs this morning, when I selected DVD Fab to open, my virus protection software said DVD Fab wanted access to the Internet, so I clicked to allow access.

After I had finished copying the DVDs I checked in ''my documents" "dvdfab'' to make sure the files had been deleted when I exited DVD Fab.

They had, but there was this other file there called ''update'', it appears DVD Fab has updated itself directly??? without a new beta or official release, is this correct?

As I said NOT a problem or complaint, just wondered what it was and why?

This is all it says, and is dated today, well yesterday actually Aussie time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[DVDFab Platinum]

Internal=6.2.1.8

Version=6.2.1.8

Download=http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=DVDFAB6_UPDATE

Date=2009-12-31

[DVDFab Gold]

Internal=6.2.1.8

Version=6.2.1.8

Date=2009-12-31

[DVDFab Express]

Internal=6.2.1.8

Version=6.2.1.8

Date=2009-12-31

[DVDFab Decrypter]

Internal=6.2.1.8

Version=6.2.1.8

Date=2009-12-31

[DVDFab HD Decrypter]

Internal=6.2.1.8

Version=6.2.1.8

Date=2009-12-31

No idea what that is but then again I have check for updates unchecked in common settings. Also where is the one dated yesterday as they all are dated for December 31 2009.

Comment

As I explained, what I quoted is what the file says when I open it.

The file ''title'' says.........

Update.

Date Modified 16/02/2010 9-13AM

Size 705 bytes.

Comment

I've never heard of anything like this...

Date=2009-12-31 is the date on which Fengtao released v.6.1.2.8

Date Modified 16/02/2010 9-13AM refers to the date and time you downloaded (updated)

I took a look at this site

and up popped an IP address in Montreal, Canada, identified as iWeb Technologies, Inc., a web hosting company.

I would take a long and thorough look at your system
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Yes, you understand what I am saying, and the dates etc.

When I opened DVD Fab on my computer this morning to copy DVDs, as I said, my virus protection software said that DVD Fab wanted access to the Internet, so without worrying or thinking really I clicked allow access.

Now I am concerned, by what you said, that it connects to a site other than the official DVD Fab site.

IF this is true, I think it must be a bigger problem than just my computer.

So do you, or anyone else know, if the real DVD Fab site would ever want to gain access to MY computer, I am guessing it does not???

My first thought is to completely remove DVD Fab from my computer, and reinstal it from the official site.

Is that what you would recommend???

I really think too that there must be a bigger problem going on that someone at DVD Fab should investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
            I've never heard of anything like this...

Date=2009-12-31 is the date on which Fengtao released v.6.1.2.8

Date Modified 16/02/2010 9-13AM refers to the date and time you downloaded (updated)

I took a look at this site

and up popped an IP address in Montreal, Canada, identified as iWeb Technologies, Inc., a web hosting company.

I would take a long and thorough look at your system
            I have taken your advice and now deleted all the files in ''documents'' related to DVD Fab, including the ''update'' ones from today.

Also now just completed, after deleting those files, a full scan using my paid for virus protection AND a full scan using malwarebytes, and NO problems found, no viruses or malware.

So should that hopefully be the end of it?

Just I will be more careful next time I get a prompt to allow access.

Does anyone know what I asked before, does the genuine DVD Fab site ever access your/my computer?

I guess this is some sort of scam/fraud that someone will look at?

Comment

DVDFab in no way installs viruses or malware onto anyones computer! Also I think maineman never said to remove DVDFab from your computer but to take a look at what has been installed. Now DVDFab does need access to the internet for BD+ support and if you not have that option DVDFab would still need access to internet for it since it an all in one program and if you have check for new version automatically checked in common settings then DVDFab will access the internet to see if a new update is available everytime you start DVDFab

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                DVDFab in no way installs viruses or malware onto anyones computer! Also I think maineman never said to remove DVDFab from your computer but to take a look at what has been installed. Now DVDFab does need access to the internet for BD+ support and if you not have that option DVDFab would still need access to internet for it since it an all in one program and if you have check for new version automatically checked in common settings then DVDFab will access the internet to see if a new update is available everytime you start DVDFab
                I did NOT say they did, not the genuine DVD Fab anyway.

Also I have NOT removed DVD Fab, I did ask earlier should I do so, but haven't yet, just as I said all the documents on my computer associated with DVD Fab, including the ones downloaded earlier today, and the scans which is what I understood ''maineman'' suggested.

I still cannot understand why when the check for updates went ahead, my computer was directed to this dodgy site ''maineman'' found instead of the genuine DVD Fab site?

There must be a problem somewhere other than just on my computer.

Anyway, I guess if I deselect the check for updates, as you were speaking of earlier, that will get around the problem, yes?

Comment

I just went to deselect automatically check for new versions, and there is also a thing about checking for DMAs, whatever they are, do I need to deselect that as well???

Thank you...........

Comment

I have check for DMA selected but can not guarantee if you uncheck check for updates will get rid of this problem but should help I think. Also you are on the forum a lot so having check for updates selected would not matter as the forum gets the updates sametime as the website. Also iWeb Technologies, Inc., a web hosting company just hosts the updates for DVDFab from what I have found so nothing to worry about them. Another thing some Anti-virus programs are really finicky with DVD copy programs

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                      I have check for DMA selected but can not guarantee if you uncheck check for updates will get rid of this problem but should help I think. Also you are on the forum a lot so having check for updates selected would not matter as the forum gets the updates sametime as the website. Also iWeb Technologies, Inc., a web hosting company just hosts the updates for DVDFab from what I have found so nothing to worry about them. Another thing some Anti-virus programs are really finicky with DVD copy programs
                      Thank you for your help.

IF this iWeb Company ARE okay, then it is NOT a problem anyway, just I thought from what ''maineman'' said earlier that they were dodgy and/or not authorised to do the updates.

One last thing, I promise, as I asked in my original post, IF there was no new official release OR new beta release out, which there isn't, what is being updated anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by davidh View Post

One last thing, I promise, as I asked in my original post, IF there was no new official release OR new beta release out, which there isn't, what is being updated anyway?
                        I not know as I never had that as I have always unchecked the check for updates after I install DVDFab. Maybe someone else will be able to answer that for you

Comment

Okay, I am off to bed now, so will sleep on it, and check if there is any more advice in the morning.

Thank you, and good night from Downunder.

Comment

I was curious and just like AGJ I never let Fab check for updates so I opened Fab and clicked check for updates then opened the .ini file in the temp folder...

[DVDFab Platinum]
                            Internal=6.2.1.8
                            Version=6.2.1.8
                            Date=2009-12-31

[DVDFab Gold]
                            Internal=6.2.1.8
                            Version=6.2.1.8
                            Date=2009-12-31

[DVDFab Express]
                            Internal=6.2.1.8
                            Version=6.2.1.8
                            Date=2009-12-31

[DVDFab Decrypter]
                            Internal=6.2.1.8
                            Version=6.2.1.8
                            Date=2009-12-31

[DVDFab HD Decrypter]
                            Internal=6.2.1.8
                            Version=6.2.1.8
                            Date=2009-12-31

Same thing here so no worries

Comment

When I checked last night...or rather 2 AM, I was beat and just crashed.
                              I just checked a Fengtao's home page...DVDFab.com and checked the IP address on the download link = web host in Montreal, Canada.

So as W&B said...no worries
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X