Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will not back-up, but plays perfectly on TV....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Will not back-up, but plays perfectly on TV....

I've had DVDfab for several years, but I don't use it very often. However, recently I decided to try to back-up my aging DVD collection to a Western Digital external drive and eventually to a Movie Server.
    However, lately I have had so many 'failures' that I'm wondering if it's worth hte expense and hassle to do this?
    Just yesterday I had one DVD (Reservation Road) that 'failed' without even starting to back-up...yet it played perfectly on the TV AND if I go to the files I can play the files on the computer. I have had so many DVD's like this that I've lost count!
    Also yesterday I tried to back up 'Vantage Point'...which also plays perfectly on the TV, and from the individual files folders, but would not even open up in any of the DVDfab utilities! I've also had several other DVD's with this problem.
    Are these normal problems to be expected? Or is there a way round them?
    Thanks in advance for any assistance,
    MtheG.

You said these DVDs play perfectly on TV, so I am assuming you are using a standalone player for that. When you play them on your computer, are you using the same drive that you are trying to use for backup ripping? I have had issues where a disc plays fine on standalone, but gets read errors when trying to rip with DVDfab. What make/model is your pc DVD drive?

You should post you dvdfab_internal.log file for better troubleshooting. Even if the process fails there will be information there. Support will also likely need the fabcheck_internal.log file.

Comment

Originally posted by LaciBacsi View Post
      You said these DVDs play perfectly on TV, so I am assuming you are using a standalone player for that. When you play them on your computer, are you using the same drive that you are trying to use for backup ripping? I have had issues where a disc plays fine on standalone, but gets read errors when trying to rip with DVDfab. What make/model is your pc DVD drive?

You should post you dvdfab_internal.log file for better troubleshooting. Even if the process fails there will be information there. Support will also likely need the fabcheck_internal.log file.
      Hi LaciBacsi, thanks for your reply.
      I do use a standalone, LG, blu-ray home-theater player for playing on the TV. I have 2 drives on my desktop, one is the original HP Writer and the other is an added, internal Pioneer BR player/burner, so whenever I encounter a problem I will always try both drives just to be sure that the drive is not the cause;

However, as I was getting the internal logs ready to post, I noticed that the logs indicated that the DVDfab 'pathplayer', in the 'common settings' was 'disabled'!

Not really knowing what the pathplayer is or does...but remembering that in the past I had been advised to disable it in order to see if a 'failed' back-up would then respond...I decided to change the setting to 'always enable' and..lo and behold, those two movies (Reservation Road and Vantage Point) actually did back-up!

So now I guess I'll have to go back and retry all of those previously 'failed' back-ups to see if I had failed to set the pathplayer correctly!!

Comment

Working...
      X