Media DVD-5 Setting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Media DVD-5 Setting?

In DVDFab 11 Mini, In Common Settings, Drives, DVD Write, they have the Writable Media (DVD-5) setting as 4300, or you can choose another setting. What setting are you using? I want to fill up as much as I can on the DVD-5.

Thanks,
    Songster

I set mine to 4472, so far so good.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

The higher the setting, the closer to the edge the data will be written, which is more vulnerable to damage and/or errors. DVDFab uses a conservative setting, likely to avoid the pitfalls of writing to the very edge, probably for these reasons. Also, it is media dependent, as I have found out in my own experimentation. Although I don't use low quality media now days, in the past I have found writing close to the edge more problematic with the cheaper discs. You will likely not see any difference in quality between the suggested setting and a slightly higher setting. If you look at some older media you burned, say, some while back, but have used (watched) on several occasions, you might see some scuffing near the very edge, which can happen over time when you eject a disc but the disc still has some spin on it (even if barely simply due to intertia) when the spindle lowers it on the platter. I guess this would also be dependent on your player itself. Also the edge is more susceptible to damage even through normal handling. Best to play it safe, but if you want to get the maximum data on the disc, experiment with the specific media you are using. When using dual layer media, you can try to avoid this by manually setting the layer break in Imgburn so the data is equally split between the two layers, thus leaving a margin at the edge, unless of course the data being written is a full 8GB. Verbatim BD-R's use a "hard coat" (more resistant to scuffs and scratches, but a real fingerprint magnet, which though can easily be wiped off) which usually protects against this type of damage. Too bad they don't use it on DVD's.

Sorry, I know this was more info than you asked for.

Comment

Working...
      X