This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I rip 2-3 disks (to files.mobile) simultaneously

I have a fairly powerful i7 system - with Windows7 64bit - and I have 3 DVD drives.

I was wondering if I can run 3 instances of DVDFAB (DVD-> Mobile) and rip files
    from all disks at the same time.

Now I am able to run it 3 times - but all but the last instance of the program running although the program keeps running ... the speed of rip goes down to 0 and then just sits there - EVEN AFTER the active one finishes.

Is this a SATA issue? A DVDFab issue?

I don't care if they are slow if doing 3 - it would just help to be able to load several at a time and go away.

Thanks
    Allen

Try it,then test the output to see if they play correctly......

You will be working the machine pretty hard, might want to keep and eye on your CPU temp during your initial testing, Outputting to different physical HDD's might help too.

This is assuming your using a dual or quad core CPU !!!

I have ripped 2 at a time but never tried DVD > Mobile, I rip straight to HDD, I manually edit the PGC's !! The DVD ROM's are IDE and the mobo has 2 IDE channels/connections
    Last edited by AlienX69; 02-25-2010, 02:00 AM.
    AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

A far better option is to follow the procedures in my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" and you then can queue up many to process.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by akrasna View Post
        I was wondering if I can run 3 instances of DVDFAB (DVD-> Mobile) and rip files from all disks at the same time.
        From "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" guide
        You can queue up multiple dvd's fom the hard disc like this for overnight processing.
        Should read "multiple folders from the hard disc" ...
        Last edited by AlienX69; 02-25-2010, 03:17 AM.
        AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Thanks for all the answers. I guess I was not really clear about 2 things.

1. I am generating a FILE for Mobile - but the actual copy to mobile does not interest me at this point in the processing. So help in queuing from HDD to Mobile is not an issue.

2. Similarly - If I was at a stage where I had DVD images on my HDD and was now converting - that also is not a problem.

So to clarify myself.
          I want to rip from 3 physical DVDs in Dives at the same time to the HDD in some format (but hopefully not just a DVD copy but some compress/process)

The PC is New Strong Fast and Cool ....
          Any ideas how to get DVDFab (in one or more instances) to work on ripping of 3 at the same time.

Thanks
          Allen

Comment

Give me mor e details on your hardware setup .... IDE or SATA ROMS

Did you try just 2 at once ? I've never done 3, I only had 2 IDE burners/readers !

AX

Comment

Ripping direct from the disks to a file for mobile is fraught with inherent problems.

The guide that I directed you to has the reasons outlined in it and was to produce a Mobile file from the disks, so maybe you have misunderstood.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

It is Sata - and also does NOT work when I try just 2.
                From the second I start the second rip - the first rip (including the light on the CD drive) stops working.

Do you think it is DVD Fab or a general issue with my Sata bus etc ..

--------
                I understand that there are problems inherent with Disk to mobile ... how about if I just want to do a miro of the DVD in the same format to the HD and then convert.
                But I want to know about the actual moving of Data from the DVD Drives to the HDD - can I do more than one at a time in DVDFAB

------
                Last edited by akrasna; 02-25-2010, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Like I mentioned, not to go against what Greg is saying, and to clarify again I do DVD to folder not DVD to Mobile.

But I no longer do this as I'm mostly sitting at my puter anyhow stuff my database, labeling discs, surfing the web ....posting on the forum ...

BTW: the 2 discs just popped out and the files are in the respective folders !!

Last edited by AlienX69; 02-25-2010, 04:53 AM.
                  AX

Comment

Do you think it is DVD Fab or a general issue with my Sata bus etc ..
                    Definetly NOT DVD Fab, something to do with your hardware. I'm building a NEW i7 rig myself 6 SATA ports .... but all I have are IDE burners .... ... ... so I still won't be able to test until I acquire SATA burners ... sorry

But I want to know about the actual moving of Data from the DVD Drives to the HDD - can I do more than one at a time in DVDFAB
                    Not sure I understand this ? See image in above post, 2 at once !!!
                    Last edited by AlienX69; 02-25-2010, 05:04 AM.
                    AX

Comment

Thanks - so now I need to do some various internal tests on the PC

(like a windows copy from 2 DVD drives to 2 disk at the same time etc)
                      I will update ...
                      Thanks

Comment

I experimented with this last year. I did not see a lot of benefit in doing in parallel over doing it sequentially. I had a much less powerful PC. I did a script to do this sequentially. My current PC has 1 drive so I don't use the script anymore. You can execute the script and it will do all drives unattended:

After ripping to disk I usually do DVD2Mobile XviD format. I put together a script for that as well. It runs unattended and sequentially. You can try it in parallel by splitting the source and dest folders.

Problems I have had.
                        1. DVD2HDD, Movie Title. The movie title is obtained from the volume name of the DVD. Some older movies use DVD_VIDEO as the name so it tries to overwrite an existing rip. I check as it was ripping and rename the folder after it is done.

2. HDD2Mobile, Some movies have multiple English subtitle tracks. Forced subtitles with render to video does not work with multiple subtitle tracks selected. The batch command selects all English subtitles (i.e. District9). I reripped the DVD and manually selected the the right English track.
                        Last edited by billbell52; 02-25-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Good job Bill, I agree !! Don't recommend parallel extractions, he just asked if it was possible. I'm like you my primary machine has only one burner/reader

Ciao
                          AX

Comment

Bill,
                            Thanks so much - you are correct - it was more about clicking a button once and having 3 disks taken care off without swapping than doing it all in parallel - I will be trying your bat - and will report back how it goes - (I expect I will want to brush up on some parameters of the command line - to personalize it a bit.)

Comment

Welcome...

I have an icon (shortcut) on the desktop that calls the bat file. A simple double click will start the DVD2Mobile conversion. It will run for days unattended when I need a new mobile format.

Like you said checkout the options. I recommend doing a few movies all the way from DVD to the required mobile format. Forced subtitles caused me the most problem so movies like Angels and Demons or District9 are good candidates.

Comment

Working...
                              X