X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New computer

Hello,

I just got a new computer and need to load DVDFab on it. I have a subscription for a few products; however, they just ran out in Oct. I still have the emails with the keys; however, I don't have the older software. I think I started out with version 5 and upgraded to version 6 sometimes within the year. I don't believe I can download the latest version since my subscription is expired, so how do I get the version I am authorized?

Also, can I load version 6 from the start or would I have to load 5 then upgrade to 6?

Thanks!!!!

Originally posted by drinksguinness View Post
    Hello,

I just got a new computer and need to load DVDFab on it. I have a subscription for a few products; however, they just ran out in Oct. I still have the emails with the keys; however, I don't have the older software. I think I started out with version 5 and upgraded to version 6 sometimes within the year. I don't believe I can download the latest version since my subscription is expired, so how do I get the version I am authorized?

Also, can I load version 6 from the start or would I have to load 5 then upgrade to 6?

Thanks!!!!

Why are you complicating a relatively simple process??

Simply D/L the newest version from the link on this forum, then renew your key through DVDFab.net. Just make sure, upon renewal, that you specify which version it is that you have.

DC

P.S. The version 6 key will work with the newest BETA, but it might be worth your while to ask about the key for the v7xxx that Fab will be going to (apparently), as I'm pretty sure a new key will be needed... but even if they say nothing, no sweat, as any time left on your renewal will be carried over to a v7 key when it is available.

Comment

Nah, his subscription ran out in Oct so V6/V7 will give him a free trial for 30 days then expire.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
        Why are you complicating a relatively simple process??

Simply D/L the newest version from the link on this forum, then renew your key through DVDFab.net. Just make sure, upon renewal, that you specify which version it is that you have.

DC

P.S. The version 6 key will work with the newest BETA, but it might be worth your while to ask about the key for the v7xxx that Fab will be going to (apparently), as I'm pretty sure a new key will be needed... but even if they say nothing, no sweat, as any time left on your renewal will be carried over to a v7 key when it is available.
        I don't really want to purchase a new key at this time. I am not a huge copier and the cost is pretty high for the 3 or 4 movies I make a year. I primarly use it to copy a few movies to my iphone for when I am waiting at doctors office or trying to entertain the kids.

So, I would like to just install what I already have as it works fine for me.

Thanks....

Comment

If your subscription has ran out, then all you will be able to do is install the current version, run the FREE trial for 30 days and it will then expire.

You didn't buy an AUTHORIZATION for a particular version of the software, you bought a "SUBSCRIPTION" for a particular length of time and if it has expired, it's expired !!!!
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            If your subscription has ran out, then all you will be able to do is install the current version, run the FREE trial for 30 days and it will then expire.

You didn't buy an AUTHORIZATION for a particular version of the software, you bought a "SUBSCRIPTION" for a particular length of time and if it has expired, it's expired !!!!
            From my understanding it was an authorization to use the version forever....the subscription was only for support and updates.

Comment

Well, your understanding was wrong.

Comment

Well, your understanding was wrong.
                Directly from the DVDFab website:

Purchase benefits:
                •A registration key that prevents the trial version from expiring after 30 days.
                •Free updates as long as your update subscription is valid.
                •Technical support as long as your update subscription is valid.
                (When subscription expires, no further update or support will be available, but the product will continue to operate)

Comment

Yes, it will with the features of the FREE version only.

This will enable you to only rip uncompressed.

The modules that you SUBSCRIBED to will EXPIRE.

Comment

Besides that, this is a USER forum and all here are volunteers trying to assist other USERS.

So, if you have a business issue with DVD Fab, I suggest that you contact them directly by email.

Comment

Tye are working just fine on my old computer. They even show enabled, but the subscription date is Oct 09.

Can't I just move that over to my new computer somehow?

Comment

Besides that, this is a USER forum and all here are volunteers trying to assist other USERS.

So, if you have a business issue with DVD Fab, I suggest that you contact them directly by email.
                        First off, I am a USER...in fact I am a PAID user, not someone who only has a trial version.

Second, this is a USER question, not a business question. My current version works just fine and the website even states I can continue to use the product which I paid for. I have no problem with the DVDfab business license policy or the way the software is functioning in regards to the licenses. My question was simply how to migrate what I current have paid for and use over to my new computer.

I'm not sure how you can think this is not the appropiate place to ask this type of question. If you don't agree...then don't reply to my thread!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drinksguinness View Post
                          Tye are working just fine on my old computer. They even show enabled, but the subscription date is Oct 09.

Can't I just move that over to my new computer somehow?
                          This can get a bit confusing and to be honest, I don't recall the specific dates when changes were made.
                          You said your version of Fab 5.xxx is still working on your old pc.

What version is this?

It may be possible for you to run this on your new rig, but you will need the old regkey (which I believe you have) and you will need the installer for whatever version of Fab 5 you wish to resurrect on your new rig.
                          Did you save the installer when you originally downloaded or did you just choose run during the download?

You can't just move programs over to another hdd, you need to install them.
                          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                            This can get a bit confusing and to be honest, I don't recall the specific dates when changes were made.
                            You said your version of Fab 5.xxx is still working on your old pc.

What version is this?

It may be possible for you to run this on your new rig, but you will need the old regkey (which I believe you have) and you will need the installer for whatever version of Fab 5 you wish to resurrect on your new rig.
                            Did you save the installer when you originally downloaded or did you just choose run during the download?

You can't just move programs over to another hdd, you need to install them.
                            No, I don't have the installers, I did just run them when I downloaded them. I do have the original key files, but they just say key.DVDFabPlatinum5 (not sure what exact version it was for). I am actually running version 6.0.7.0 right now as I've upgraded a few times while my subscription was current.

Any idea what would happen if I downloaded the latest verion and installed my old keys? Would that get rid of the trail version limits and unlock the software to whatever I am authorized....or would it simply state the keys are outdated and continue to run as trail?

Thanks....

Comment

No, installing the older regkeys with current versions won't work, as others have stated.
                              After the 30-day trial, the app will revert to the freeware version.

There was a period of time that you could run Fab 5...as it was when installed and for as long as you wanted...you just couldn't update after your subscription expired. Often, newer copy protections would fail to rip
                              Subsequent to this however (again I don't recall when exactly), this was no longer possible and the app would simply revert to the freeware version.

Hope this makes sense
                              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Working...
                              X