This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to designate DVD5/DVD9 media

I am very new to DVDFab (just registered a minute ago) and am using the trial version that I downloaded a week ago. I have copied a few DVDs using the DVD to DVD format, and have found it to be quite simple and speedy for making copies. However, I always get a message telling me that a DVD5 medium will copy (less than 4.7Gb) but when I put a 4.7 Gb blank in, there is a message informing me that no DVD medium is detected. If I put an 8.5 Gb DVD+R blank in the DVD recorder, I then receive a message that a 4.7 Gb DVD+R will suffice. Unless I go ahead and use (waste) a DL 8.5 Gb DVD+R it will not start recording. However, it will record to an 8.5 Gb DVD+R. How can I specify that I want to use a smaller DVD when the occasion calls for it? Thanks for any help!

Harry T.
    Harry T

Originally posted by Harry T View Post
    I am very new to DVDFab (just registered a minute ago) and am using the trial version that I downloaded a week ago. I have copied a few DVDs using the DVD to DVD format, and have found it to be quite simple and speedy for making copies. However, I always get a message telling me that a DVD5 medium will copy (less than 4.7Gb) but when I put a 4.7 Gb blank in, there is a message informing me that no DVD medium is detected. If I put an 8.5 Gb DVD+R blank in the DVD recorder, I then receive a message that a 4.7 Gb DVD+R will suffice. Unless I go ahead and use (waste) a DL 8.5 Gb DVD+R it will not start recording. However, it will record to an 8.5 Gb DVD+R. How can I specify that I want to use a smaller DVD when the occasion calls for it? Thanks for any help!

Harry T.

Just one question before I answer... what media are you using??

Both Single Layer and Double Layer?

DC

Comment

I am using single layer on the 4.7 and DL on the 8.5, Memorex.
      Harry T

Comment

Originally posted by Harry T View Post
        I am using single layer on the 4.7 and DL on the 8.5, Memorex.

OK... I suspect that your problem (drive doesn't read any writeable media in your drive) is mainly due to the brand you are using.

Would like to recommend, for SL writes, Taiyo Yuden (usually available on the web) and for D/L writes, Verbatim (should be available at your local electronics outlet).

Sony, if you can find the Sony-made discs, are also OK for S/L writes, but as the Sony's don't tell you much on the label, it's very difficult to determine in-store which ones you have.

Most of the other brands are more or less OK for data, but aren't good enough for video work.

It also wouldn't hurt to switch your burner from the VSO one supplied with DVDFab to Imgburn (can be D/L for free on the web), as it handles the poorer quality discs better.

There is a link at the top of the forum with instructions for installing and using Imgburn with Fab.

DC

Comment

Working...
        X