Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Media Player That Plays Both Blu-ray Discs and .MKV files?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Media Player That Plays Both Blu-ray Discs and .MKV files?!

The Subject is the question I need an answer to. I've been trying to look for a good, all-in-one media player for my laptop. Namely the 2 things I want to play the most (video-wise) are blu-ray discs and .MKV video files. I've tried to research a number of players online, but from what I can tell, they only play one or the other...NOT BOTH!!! I've looked at VLC player, WMP, etc. and they will only play the .MKV files, not blu-rays. I looked at PowerDVD and WinDVD and they will only play blu-rays, not .MKV's!

Maybe I didn't research for long enough, but there has to be a player out there that will do it all!? Any suggestions?

P.S.- I want to say I use to have PowerDVD 8 Ultra installed on my computer at one time and with the codec pack I had installed on my system, it was able to play .MKV's as well as blu-rays. (I just don't remember for sure if this was the case.) Would that work? Could PowerDVD 9 do this?

I'm curious why you couldn't just use 2 programs if that is what it takes? It is kind of like saying, "I absolutely need something that will open both word processing and spreadsheet documents in one application."

By the way, VLC will play decrypted Blu-Ray discs (try DVDFab Passkey if reading a real disc) but just doesn't really do the menu.

Comment

Total Media Theatre 3 plays both, make sure you update to 3.0.1.170 to correct an mkv issue. (btw it's not freeware)

Comment

@Complication,
        Why should I? If there is a program that can play it all, why should I use 2 different ones? BTW, playing different video formats and opening up different office documents are 2 different things.

@W&B,
        Thanks, I'll give TMT3 a try. Your post is actually helpful!
        Last edited by Hectic; 03-13-2010, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectic View Post
          @Complication,
          Why should I? If there is a program that can play it all, why should I use 2 different ones? BTW, playing different video formats and opening up different office documents are 2 different things.

@W&B,
          Thanks, I'll give TMT3 a try. Your post is actually helpful!

Re the BOLD text... not so different, maybe... if you can write a letter in Excel (which you can), you can't open it in Word to edit it...

If you can play an .AVI format file in VLC, and not port it over to Power DVD, wherein lies the difference??

DC

Comment

Working...
          X