X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPad support

Hello,

I've been searching for this via Google and these forums but have not seen the answer. I'm not that savvy on video so I apologize if this is obvious. I know that the iPad is going to be 1024x768 in resolution. I have one on the way and have several movies that I would like to watch on it, but am unsure as to what settings I should be converting the dvds to. Since there currently is no preset for iPad, is there a suggested manual setting that anyone would suggest? I thought of using 1024x768 as a manual added setting, but that would seem to make the resultant file humongous, not to mention possible other problems. If I render it in another resolution, and then want to view it full screen, does it suffer from any "stretching" if I have it at another resolution, like say 640x480 or similar? Again, sorry if this answer is somewhere, I just haven't found it for a few days now.

Thanks

The only way to do this is try it yourself as I have not seen any iPad queries on the forum before.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have experimented with other players and find that making the movie 50% and then running it at 2X works best. On smaller players I can hardly tell the difference. Use mp4 512 x XXX, 20 frames/sec and 500-800 kbps to start. This should give a file size 600Mb.

Also heard they are coming out with a 12" screen version called the Max-iPad. Sorry, could not help myself. I hate the name iPad.

Comment

Here are the specs, looks like the iPod Touch profile will work fine for this.
        H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
        How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Excellent help, thank you both very much!

Comment

Originally posted by kdlittle88 View Post
            Hello,

I've been searching for this via Google and these forums but have not seen the answer. I'm not that savvy on video so I apologize if this is obvious. I know that the iPad is going to be 1024x768 in resolution. I have one on the way and have several movies that I would like to watch on it, but am unsure as to what settings I should be converting the dvds to. Since there currently is no preset for iPad, is there a suggested manual setting that anyone would suggest? I thought of using 1024x768 as a manual added setting, but that would seem to make the resultant file humongous, not to mention possible other problems. If I render it in another resolution, and then want to view it full screen, does it suffer from any "stretching" if I have it at another resolution, like say 640x480 or similar? Again, sorry if this answer is somewhere, I just haven't found it for a few days now.

Thanks
            Use AppleTV settings ... works like a charm

Comment

AppleTV settings pixelate.
              The default bitrate is set to 1500?

Trying to find the magic settings to set for an iPad default for encoding.
              What gives the best possible image with the smallest file size.

No sense in wasting space if I can't see the difference on the screen.
              Last edited by Ozzie; 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billbell52 View Post
                Also heard they are coming out with a 12" screen version called the Max-iPad. Sorry, could not help myself. I hate the name iPad.
                You got me Ozzie. I removed my comments.
                Last edited by IPopov50; 04-14-2010, 08:33 PM.
                sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

IPopov50, it was ment as a joke(HA HA), which is getting real old and over used IMHO.
                  It is also pointless to the original post. (Thanks for your contribution)

KDlittle88 1024 X 768 gives a a 1.33:1 aspect ratio so I think you need to select the highest setting the does not exceed either one of those numbers. It will vary with the original asopect ratio of the movie. The AppleTV seems to give you the higher bit rates and H.264, but I have yet to find the right mix of highest quality output with minimal file size.

Comment

Working...
                  X