Member Center - WEAK Passwords Now???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Member Center - WEAK Passwords Now???

It's been a while since I last logged in as I usually just check for updates these days.

I found that it was time to change my Forum password so I could stay logged in when visiting. So I took care of that.

But when I logged into the Member Center, I tried to update my Member Center password and found that there have been some not too good changes.

The Change I really don't like is now it's Requiring a character limit of "6 to 16 Characters" for the password field.
    Anything more than 16 characters it won't accept.

This in itself is unacceptable as it presents a Security Risk.

My current (old Member Center password) is 33 characters long.
    When I tried to update, I found that I couldn't without Reducing the Encryption strength.

Please Strengthen the password requirements for the Member Center so we can use strong passwords again.

Passwords should be no less than 24 characters these days and they should have a limit of 64 characters or stronger.

One thing I've noticed is some sites and even some software are now requiring Pass Phrases which are usually 64 characters minimum.

Passwords should never have any personal information used in them.
    Random upper and lower case alpha, numeric along with other characters including Chinese and other language characters.
    The more characters one can choose from when making a password, the harder it is to crack the passwords.

26 letters in English alphabet, upper and lower case means 56 characters to use for combinations.
    0 thru 9 equals 10 numeric characters to use for combinations
    this makes for 66 characters to use for combinations

I'm not entirely sure how many other characters there are on the keyboard itself, but it easily adds up to about 30 characters or more.

Then if you add Chinese characters or other language characters you get more for combinations.

So the more characters you have to choose from combined with long Password length, the stronger your passwords will be.

The fewer characters you use to create passwords, the easier it will be to crack them as there are fewer key combinations to work through.

So my current Member Center password in staying the same for this reason.

Anyone reading this should realize that I take security extremely seriously.
Working...
X