Help me with 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with 3D

Reaching out to see if anyone can advise me. I am looking to rip blue ray 3D into an mkv but am unsure how to go about the process ...can anyone explain well enough for the simpleton that I am ? And once I have the file will any media player like a roku ultra streaming from plex play said file or do I need to play direct from my pc to my projector? Thanks for any advice you can give me. :-)

After several attempts i am unsure how to achieve side by side results..all rips come out twice normal size but are crystal clear...should the resulting mkv not be blurry indicating that it is ready to be viewed with active glasses ..attempted with fab 12 and 13...what am I doing wrong..where do I find settings for side by side?

Comment

There could be a few reasons this hasn't been working for you. Make sure the title that is selected it one that actually contains 3D content, some 3D BDs have alternate main movie titles for 2D playback. There's not really a way to test this in DVDFab itself unfortunately, if you have PlayerFab you can open the BD in there, verify that its playing in 3D (you might need to turn it on in the Playerfab controls). Once you see that its playing in 3D you can right click the playback window to reveal "details" and see what Title number is playing. Most US 3D BDs use Title 800. On the Australian 3D BD I'm using for example its Title 151.

Once you've verified that the correct title is selected. Click the drop down list for ripping profiles. (See image below.)

Select the filter for 3D if it isn't already selected. I like to use the (MKV HDR-10 1080p) profile but you can play around and see what gives you the best results.

Next click the little wrench icon to adjust the rip quality. For best compatibility you'll want to change any DTS or 7.1 audio tracks to AAC and no more then 5.1.

At the very bottom of that window should be the option for 3D Format. For SBS it should be on "Split Screen" and Left/Right(Half Size 50%)

The resulting file should look something like the image below and can be played back on most devices. To actually view it in 3D though you need a 3D display that supported SBS.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-19 030643.png Views:	0 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	439422

On rare occasion there are 3D BDs that are published in Right/Left instead of Left/Right and will end up inverted when you try to view them after converting them to SBS with DVDFab. There is no way to correct this in DVDFab that I'm aware of but most 3D displays that supports SBS also have the option to swap the Right/Left view.
      Last edited by wemickna; 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks Wemikna with your help I was able to achieve a side by side file...( see pic ) but results might be iffy. Like with the photo you attached.. my monitor is also horizontally challenged. ( meaning the image appears stretched vertically) does this require adjustment of the resolution width /height or does the movie look correct once played on a 3d device 16x9 with active glasses ? Again thanks for the assist getting me this far...I was only able to achieve this by using fab 12...for the life of me I could not find the settings using 13.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sbs images are supposed to be stretched vertically. The left and right images should be exactly 1/2 their original width so that they both fit inside 1 16:9 frame. Then when you turn on SBS mode on your 3D display, it stretches them back out. This is to maximize the amount of resolution you wouldn't otherwise get if it just scaled both frames down at a 1:1 ratio and put massive black bars in the unused space. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

The images I posted are from DVDFab 13 but I just tested SBS rips with it and its still broken unfortunately. DVDFab 12 it works flawlessly but in 13 its not resizing/stretching the frames properly, so 12 is going to be your best bet for now until the StreamFab customers are happy again and they can spare some time for the niche features of DVDFab that some of us still use.

Comment

Ok thanks bro..just from the fact I cannot figure out where the side by side even is in version 13 I figured 12 was my only hope. What you say makes sense I guess, I will just have to mount the file to a portable drive so I can transfer it to my plex server to test it on my display. But first I am going to investigate if I have generated the best possible file...it came in at around 10 gig while the normal mkv I have of this movie is like 18 gig in size...I want to not sacrifice any quality on my 3d movies. At any rate I cannot thank you enough for helping me figure this out Thanks Bro

Comment

Working...
              X