Blu-ray drive recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware Blu-ray drive recommendations

I am looking for Blu-ray drive recommendations.

I built a PVR a few years back, I put one Blu-ray drive in it. A few months ago I began to have issues with it reading disks. So I replaced it and a DVD drive in the PVR and two DVD drives in a second computer I use for ripping Blu-ray / DVD disks (a total of 4 drives) with this one in June. It wasn't long until one of the drives began to have issues reading disks then eventually damaged a disk. All four now have issues reading disks and a second drive just damaged another disk.

Question is, what Blu-ray drives does everyone recommend. I want a dependable and durable drive, but one that I do not have to pay an arm and a leg for. I have large DVD collection that has already been ripped to the PVR and a large list of DVDs / Blu-rays I still want to get. I have built computers in the past and used a variety of DVD drives from several different manufactures including LG and never had any problems with them. However I suppose the ones I bought aren't meant to read and copy hundreds of DVDs. I don't want to just buy another drive with out seeing what others use.

I don't know if it had anything to do with the issues I have been having with these drives, but the first time I used these drives with DVDfab it said I had to downgrade the firmware - which I did.

My "go to" optical media drives have been:
    . LG for blu-ray & 4K
    . Lite-On for DVD & CD
    I use them specifically as described above (meaning I use my 4K/UHD drive ONLY for watching or ripping 4K/UHD discs, for example).
    These have been very reliable. However, I do not use them anywhere near as much as you apparently use yours.
    I expect you will find it challenging to track down newly manufactured drives at reasonable prices as it seems like companies are dropping production of many models.
    Regarding "downgradng firmware": I expect you get this message with 4K/UHD capable drives as many of them had firmware updates applied to remove the ability to rip 4K media. Once you apply the earlier firmware to these drives, you need to make sure they will not install a newer firmware.
    Last edited by Rich86; 08-10-2024, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Hi there, I would look into the ASUS BW-16D1HT. A very good drive in my opinion. This drive supports
      • DVD
      • Blu-ray
      • UHD discs
      If you decide to purchase this drive, and if you plan on copying/ripping UHD discs, you'll might need to use DVDFab UHD Drive Tool to downgrade the firmware.

Comment

Working...
      X