X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other NEWBIE HELP - DVD to AVI

Hello All!

I just want to put my DVD's in my drive and burn them to a file on my computer so I can watch them while I travel etc. AVI, MOV, WMV whatever. . . Is DVDFab right for me? I download the free software and burned an image to my harddrive, but can't figure out how to play it!

Please help,

Bill

Yes, it is most definitely the right software but you need to use the DVD to Mobile module.

Have a read of my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread. Link in my signature below.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks a ton, but . . .

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm a little torn between ******** and DVDFab. It seems that ******** is just so much friendlier. There are so many settings to DVDFab. When I use ******** it just spits out one AVI file of the main movie which is what I'm looking for. I understand that DVDFab is probably a much better program, but I'm not sure where to get started with regards to what it is I want to do. Could someone perhaps help with the following?

1. I would like one video file of just the main movie, AVI, WMV whatever that I can play with a standard player.
      2. If possible, it would be nice to keep the file to a certain size so that I don;t take up too much hard disk space and can fit more movies. Under a Gig would be great.

I've heard of DvX rips before, might they be a way to go?

Thanks a ton everyone,

Bill
      Last edited by W&B; 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM. Reason: removed software reference, please read the general policies.

Comment

To get better suggestions it would help to mention what you'll be playing the files on, you mentioned a HDD in your first post, will it be a laptop?

Comment

RE: Thanks a ton, but . . .

Hi Guys!!

Sorry, yes it's my laptop. I'm not a big time video editor or anything, just an average guys who finds himself on planes alot and hates airline movies

Comment

Have you even read my post above?
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Absolutely! I even tried the process you have outlined under Best Practices - DVD to Mobile" it took about 1.5 hours and I ended up with several AVI files that I had to delete and the main movie file was 3.84 gigs (Lord of the Rings)

Comment

would be nice to know what you are playing these files back on. I use a PSP for travel and the PSP file format plays back pretty good on a laptop as well using WMP or Nero for the playback on the laptop

Comment

Just my laptop. I can use Windows media, VLC etc . . . It's just I want to conserve space.

Comment

For a laptop & VLC, I would recommend using the generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy profile, resolution 720 x XXX ish, 1100 bitrate and you should end up with pretty good quality around 1Gb for a 90min film.

Comment

Thanks a ton! I appreciate the time.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                      X