This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on dvd ripping basics

I've recently started to rip "main movie" and I've got a couple of newbie questions:

Q1.
    I don't need the 5.1 sound, just a standard stereo, but there are often multiple "2" sound tracks. I've tried selecting and deselecting different streams, but the preview player plays sound even when they're all unselected so I can't tell which one is right. I read on another post that movies may use more than 1 sound stream: is my choice to select the 5.1 or both stereo streams to ensure I get COMPLETE English sound playback?

Q2.
    I don't need subtitles (subpicture on dvdfab?) but I read in a post that some movies use the subpicture stream to show translation from a foreign language (I'm thinking about aliens speaking in Star Wars). How can I tell which subpicture streams are used for this vs if they're in the main stream (like Da Vincia Code) vs which are for the optional "closed captioning" controllable by the dvd player?

Q3.
    If all else fails I can try different permutations and rip the main movie to file and watching the movie a bunch of times (headache!). Is it correct that I do this by changing the "target" from the dvd burner to a folder? Will this burn an iso or a ts_video/ts_audio file structure?

This all came up when I began backing up/burning the Star Wars movies for playing in the car for road trips and want the best video quality. Any help or advice on these movies in particular (I, II, III, IV, V, VI), or my questions above are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by bluepipe View Post
    I've recently started to rip "main movie" and I've got a couple of newbie questions:

Q1.
    I don't need the 5.1 sound, just a standard stereo, but there are often multiple "2" sound tracks. I've tried selecting and deselecting different streams, but the preview player plays sound even when they're all unselected so I can't tell which one is right. I read on another post that movies may use more than 1 sound stream: is my choice to select the 5.1 or both stereo streams to ensure I get COMPLETE English sound playback?
    Select the english 5.1 track but use a profile such as 'Generic.AVI.Xvid.MP3' (just an example) and in the edit page you can select bitrate and so forth. Fab will down convert the 5.1 track. Usually the other tracks are either foreign or commentary tracks.

Q2.
    I don't need subtitles (subpicture on dvdfab?) but I read in a post that some movies use the subpicture stream to show translation from a foreign language (I'm thinking about aliens speaking in Star Wars). How can I tell which subpicture streams are used for this vs if they're in the main stream (like Da Vincia Code) vs which are for the optional "closed captioning" controllable by the dvd player?
    My method for this is to preview with VLC or software of your choice to find out what chapter has 'forced subs' if any, then just rip that chapter only with all the subtitle tracks and do some short test to see which sub track is the one you need, usually it's the first but not always, the 'Star Wars' titles if memory serves was the second english track.
    There may be a easier way of doing this and someone with more experience and knowledge will hopefully chime in here.

Q3.
    If all else fails I can try different permutations and rip the main movie to file and watching the movie a bunch of times (headache!). Is it correct that I do this by changing the "target" from the dvd burner to a folder? Will this burn an iso or a ts_video/ts_audio file structure?

This all came up when I began backing up/burning the Star Wars movies for playing in the car for road trips and want the best video quality. Any help or advice on these movies in particular (I, II, III, IV, V, VI), or my questions above are much appreciated.
    Yes just change the target, you have the right idea, if a folder or iso is selected that's what will be created on your hdd.
    When converting, use the same method for selecting the source, which is the folder or iso you just ripped except it will be the source line.

GregiBoy created this guide that may help you find a good starting point with the bitrate and other great advice. Best Practice: DVD to Mobile

Comment

Working...
    X