This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMA setting/reset

On Common Settings/ General/ Reset DMA- under what circumstances should that be clicked? When the copying speed becomes very slow I have found that to help. But there is no way to know what the current setting is, or if it is set properly- too high or too low because there is no meter or gauge (..?..). How is that setting known? and, back to initial question, under what...clicked? Thanks for your help.

DMA is a Direct Memory Access... It's either there or not... There are no "settings", no "meter". When access is lost, software has to go through computer to get to the memory, and it slows process down.... I hope I explained it well enough. So, if performance is noticeable down - click it.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

So it is an Obvious slow down, like 10 min's on average to 3 hours or more the next time a rip is done? Thank you for the fast and clear reply!

Comment

Dan633
        You can also check your drives mode by going into device manager IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers click IDE controllers advanced settings and check for DMA, if they are IDE, but make sure you check both of your IDE channels.
        For Sata in the same folder IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Serial ATA controllers click the port that has your drive on it, and also check your DMA status.
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Please read #7 in my thread:
          Tips on Troubleshooting Analyzing/Ripping dvds
          (link in my sig below).

Here's another fix, complete with pics:
          Instructions for enabling DMA

You might also consider simply uninstalling your ODD's in device manager and then reboot. Windoz will automatically detect, install and assign the appropriate drivers
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the info. I went into the Device Manager and found the settings, all were set for DMA and ultra (where available). The only odd thing I saw was: When I expanded the IDE tree, there were 3 entries for each of the three items, rather than one entry each.
            3 lines for Primary IDE..., 3 for Secondary... and 3 for Standard Dual Channel PCI-IDE....
            Each had the same settings within their respective group, but is having 3 normal?

Comment

Originally posted by dan633 View Post
              there were 3 entries for each of the three items, rather than one entry each.
              3 lines for Primary IDE..., 3 for Secondary... and 3 for Standard Dual Channel PCI-IDE....
              Each had the same settings within their respective group, but is having 3 normal?
              Yea, it's normal. You're good
              sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
              X