Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Card Question (SLI - Does it = faster ripping speeds)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU Video Card Question (SLI - Does it = faster ripping speeds)

My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 and I was wondering if I bought another one and ran them in SLI mode would ripping blu-rays take less time ?

I am currently using Blu-Ray to Mobile, Xbox 360 (.wmv), with the CUDA encoder for video and whatever the default is for audio.

Here are some of my other systems specs if that matters:
    CPU- i7 930 Quad Core
    Memory - 6 gig
    OS - Windows 7 Ultimate N 64 bit
    Blu-ray - LG UH10LS20

Currently it's taking about 3-3 1/2 hours per disk to create a .wmv that I can stream to my 360.

Hokenweazen
    Looks like you have very nicely built machine. I wouldn't recommend you to buy additional card for sake of additional GPU. Your current GPU is a high-end multi-GPU card, and adding more wouldn't help. And here's why. When you have several processing units and one block of data (that's what movie essentially is) to process, firstly you are facing challenge of splitting this block of data on little chunks and distribute among processing units according to their processing capacity. Secondly, you facing a challenge to pick up those pieces and stitch them together seamlessly. Believe me, this is really hard to do. This kind of data management and workload distribution in DVDFab is far from perfection. Developers are in right direction, and eventually will get there, than we all will think how to utilize this capability better, and what hardware improvements needed. In a meanwhile, if you would have GPU monitor, you would see that one core of you existing GPU has barely 10-20% load, and another 2-3% at best. You have room of 180% for improvement before your resource is exhausted.
    I hope my explanation helps you to make right decision.

Originally posted by Hokenweazen View Post
    My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 and I was wondering if I bought another one and ran them in SLI mode would ripping blu-rays take less time ?

I am currently using Blu-Ray to Mobile, Xbox 360 (.wmv), with the CUDA encoder for video and whatever the default is for audio.

Here are some of my other systems specs if that matters:
    CPU- i7 930 Quad Core
    Memory - 6 gig
    OS - Windows 7 Ultimate N 64 bit
    Blu-ray - LG UH10LS20

Currently it's taking about 3-3 1/2 hours per disk to create a .wmv that I can stream to my 360.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with IPopov50.
      Save your $...for now anyway.

I have essentially the same rig, but a step down with a nVidia GeForce GTX 260.
      My GPU usually hangs in the 10-15% range with Blu-Ray to Mobile conversions.

I've only just started fooling with BR's, so my experience is very limited, but
      IPopov50's advice is spot on.
      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

That was explained perfect IPopov50, as always thank you !

Thanks, I would rather keep the money for the flood of 360 games I want to pickup in May anyway lol.

Comment

So can I conclude from the low utilization that the "make" and "model" of the graphics card does not have much bearing on the transcoding process?

Comment

You can conclude it, but it will be a wrong conclusion.
            In order to participate in encoding/decoding process, card has to be CUDA enabled (for nVIDIA cards) or DXVA enabled (for ATI cards). Single core GPUs soon will be in disadvantage because DVDFab developers working on load distribution and will soon distribute encoding and decoding between cores.

Originally posted by bushy View Post
            So can I conclude from the low utilization that the "make" and "model" of the graphics card does not have much bearing on the transcoding process?
            sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
            X