This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split movie into chapters

Hello. I would like to split the main movie of a DVD into its chapters, so that every VOB file in fact contains only one chapter. Is it possible to do so?

I've done a search, and read some things about "VOB passthrough," but am not sure to understand what is meant by that. I think I also understood that the feature was on the "wish features" list, at least for the current time.

Is that right? Any tips or something?

Using latest version of DVDFab. Thanks.

VOB passthrough, or any other "passthrough", means these files will be copied without any compression or modification. Usually this "mode" used for repacking content from one container to another without compression, encoding or any other manipulation with video and/or audio. I.e. passthrough from Blu-ray to MKV.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by twipley View Post
      Hello. I would like to split the main movie of a DVD into its chapters, so that every VOB file in fact contains only one chapter. Is it possible to do so?

I've done a search, and read some things about "VOB passthrough," but am not sure to understand what is meant by that. I think I also understood that the feature was on the "wish features" list, at least for the current time.

Is that right? Any tips or something?

Using latest version of DVDFab. Thanks.

The 'passthrough' option will give you everything in one VOB file, without regard to chapter start or finish... not what you're after, I suspect...

The other problem is the size of each chapter... most likely less than 1 Gb each... this is a problem because whatever plays back your files expects to find all the VOB files as 1 Gb size, with only the last one usually less than that.

Stringing together a bunch of VOB files less than 1 Gb (to maintain your chapter isolation) and trying to pass it off as a complete movie may fox your player and cause either playback problems or only one VOB file being played...

I'm not totally sure of this, as I've never tried it myself, but if anyone out there has, now is the time to chip in your .02 cents worth...

DC

Comment

Here's you 2 cents. Everybody who use PS3 and network, and streaming video to PS3 over network must have it in one file, and it's VOB. Otherwise, they have to build overhead to their simple networks.
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

For those that are interested, there is a way to do this, but for the love of me, I cannot see why you would want to.

Select the source and vob passtrough. Then you can actually change the chapters that you want to be contained by using the "Title Start/End Settings" on the main window of Fab.

You would have to do each one individually making sure that you name the resultant file correctly.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
            Here's you 2 cents. Everybody who use PS3 and network, and streaming video to PS3 over network must have it in one file, and it's VOB. Otherwise, they have to build overhead to their simple networks.

Sir.. I've followed your posts, and your advice seems to be solid... but in this particular case, the OP has at no time mentioned either PS3 or networks... so I tried to treat this as a 'DVD file set-up' situation... and I apologize, but I fail to see how your comments apply to this situation... unless you know something I don't about this individual's situation...

As GregiBoy suggests, it can be done, and will leave a small mess of files where a film used to be... not to mention the time and work involved to do it, and I agree... I can't - for the love of me - see why someone would want to try it...

DC

Last edited by DarthCopier; 04-29-2010, 04:56 AM.

Comment

I read thread again, you are right, my comment wasn't helpful or even in a subject... I apologize.
              BTW, how do you know I'm a Sir, not Madame?

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
              Sir.. I've followed your posts, and your advice seems to be solid... but in this particular case, the OP has at no time mentioned either PS3 or networks... so I tried to treat this as a 'DVD file set-up' situation... and I apologize, but I fail to see how your comments apply to this situation... unless you know something I don't about this individual's situation...

As GregiBoy suggests, it can be done, and will leave a small mess of files where a film used to be... not to mention the time and work involved to do it, and I agree... I can't - for the love of me - see why someone would want to try it...

DC

sigpic

Comment

Because of the way you hold your mouth !!!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                  Select the source and vob passtrough. Then you can actually change the chapters that you want to be contained by using the "Title Start/End Settings" on the main window of Fab.
                  Thanks! That's because in some cases I'm only interested in one chapter, and willing to drop all other chapters of the DVD.

Thing has worked without even using Vob Passthrough (because I could not figure out where that was), for some reason. Thanks again, fellow man.

Comment

I read thread again, you are right, my comment wasn't helpful or even in a subject... I apologize.
                    BTW, how do you know I'm a Sir, not Madame?

Good point... I didn't know(and still don't)... standard practice in business is (or, at least, used to be) when sending a letter to a J. Smith (not knowing whether it's a John or Joanne) to preface it 'Dear Sir'... and wait to be corrected...

Old habits die hard...

If, in fact, you aren't a Sir, are you sure you would like to be referred to as a Madam??

DC

Comment

Well, Sir is fine....
                      In regards to good business practices, we're definitely from different business schools... In my school I was told that if you don't know gender of J.Smith, before you "write 'Dear Sir'... and wait to be corrected...", go and find it out.
                      Besides, all I've got is "Sir..." what happened to 'Dear Sir' ? I guess you was really PO.

Good point... I didn't know(and still don't)... standard practice in business is (or, at least, used to be) when sending a letter to a J. Smith (not knowing whether it's a John or Joanne) to preface it 'Dear Sir'... and wait to be corrected...

Old habits die hard...

If, in fact, you aren't a Sir, are you sure you would like to be referred to as a Madam??

DC

sigpic

Comment

Well, Sir is fine....
                        In regards to good business practices, we're definitely from different business schools... In my school I was told that if you don't know gender of J.Smith, before you "write 'Dear Sir'... and wait to be corrected...", go and find it out.
                        Besides, all I've got is "Sir..." what happened to 'Dear Sir' ? I guess you was really PO.

Two reasons there was no 'Dear'...

1.) a posting in this forum isn't a business letter (and yes, I am from the 'Old School'... in my day, many, many more males than females in high positions in business... Sir was usually a good bet).

2.) I don't know you that well, and don't know if you are a 'Dear' or not ... so I used Sir, and waited to be corrected... and your posts didn't get me PO'd... I never get that way with people like you who are trying to help... would rather take you out and buy you a beer (or whatever your poison is...).

DC

Comment

would rather take you out and buy you a beer (or whatever your poison is...).

DC

Great, I will take this offer. I don't drink though...
                          Take out for beer... remind me Obama's method of settling....
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X