X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using DVDFAB concurrently - DVD to Mobile

Dear DVDFAB,

I have 2 DVD writers. And I used them to convert DVD to Mobile.

My question :- Is it possible to use 2 DVD writers concurrently? Say for example :- I have 2 movies that I wished to ripped, I placed them into the drives. Can I ripped both DVD in different drive one after another immediately? In other words, after DVDFAB ripped from one drive, it automatically rip from another drive.

Let me know how to do it? I cannot seems to make it work.

Thank you

Kanee

You shouldn't really do it direct from disk anyhow.

Have a read of my 'Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread and then you can queue up as many as you like.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      You shouldn't really do it direct from disk anyhow.

Have a read of my 'Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread and then you can queue up as many as you like.
      Dear GregiBoy,

Thank you for your email. Yes, I have just read your BEST PRACTICE.

Perhaps there were some mis-explained in my post.

Let me further explain :-

I have a PMP that I always use when traveling to work. I ripped DVD movies to it.

I want to know if DVDFAB can be use more than 1 instance. If I have 2 movies, normally, I will have to ripped 1 and wait for it to finish...and then start another ripping physically.

I have 2 different DVD drives, I placed the discs into them and automatically DVDFAB will scan, however, I noticed that DVDFAB only scan 1 drive (eventhough, both drives has movies in it). I could not choose another drive from the SOURCE. Is there any way for DVDFAB to process 2 different movies and rip "automatically" after one is done.

I can't figure out how to do it.

Thank you

Kanne

Comment

Open DVDFAB and start the rip of your first movie.
        Open a second instance of DVDFAB and start the rip of your second movie.

They will both be ripping at the same time but in my experience you will not save any time as the ripping of two at the same time take twice as long a ripping one at a time.

I do not know of a way to have fab start the second only after finishing the first.

Comment

There may be a way to do it with the batch commands. Have a read through that section of the forum but as Grunon says, I cannot see any real reason to do it.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
            Open DVDFAB and start the rip of your first movie.
            Open a second instance of DVDFAB and start the rip of your second movie.

They will both be ripping at the same time but in my experience you will not save any time as the ripping of two at the same time take twice as long a ripping one at a time.

I do not know of a way to have fab start the second only after finishing the first.
            Dear Grunon,

Thank you for your reply. I would think that will cause lousy ripped results or rip to fail as eat up a lot of resources.

Somehow, I always thought that DVDFAB could process more than one instance.....maybe I was wrong.

Thank you

Kanee

Comment

Originally posted by KanNeeNaBu View Post
              Dear Grunon,

I would think that will cause lousy ripped results or rip to fail as eat up a lot of resources.

Kanee
              Lousy rips ... no.
              Eat up resources...yes.
              Not worth the time and effort to repeat my experiments.

Comment

In addition to Gruñón and GregiBoy comments which more than answered your questions, just a couple more comments.

You said,
                My question :- Is it possible to use 2 DVD writers concurrently? Say for example :- I have 2 movies that I wished to ripped, I placed them into the drives. Can I ripped both DVD in different drive one after another immediately? In other words, after DVDFAB ripped from one drive, it automatically rip from another drive.
                Maybe a language issue, but I want to be certain I'm following you accurately...I believe you mean consecutively and not concurrently (concurrent = at the same time) since you want one rip to follow another immediately, but not run at the same time.
                Do I have this right?
                As GregiBoy said, there "might" be a way to do this, but none that I know and as stated, it's a bad idea.

Somehow, I always thought that DVDFAB could process more than one instance.....maybe I was wrong.
                Fab can run multiple instances without issue provided you have a robust system.
                Still, we do NOT recommend converting to Mobile directly from a dvd.
                First rip to your hdd...only takes several minutes and the bottleneck is your ODD, not your cpu, etc..
                Now, convert to Mobile. This is the labor intensive portion and is very cpu dependent.

I do the following much of the time...
                Use 1 of my 4 ODDs to rip dvds to the hdd
                and at the same time...
                queue up a number of ripped files on the hdd and convert them to h.264 format with another Fab application open.
                I use Fab 7 to process the dvd and frequently use Fab 6 to convert (no decrypting needed) and Fab 6 Mobile is very fast on my system...speeds anywhere from 300-500 fps.
                This allows me to rip dvds and ignore the Mobile conversions since they are batched and will take a awhile, but don't need a babysitter

I also queue them up before hitting the sack, so the conversions run most of the night...again, no babysitter necessary...

This works very well with my rig...a core i7 build running win 7 64-bit.
                Last edited by maineman; 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM.
                If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I routinely rip 3 DVDs at a time to the hard drive using multiple instances of DVDFab. Once all are complete then I use DVD to Mobile in batch mode.

There is a speed increase depending on how the SATA internals are implemented. On my old P4, the rip speed of 2 instances concurrently versus consecutively was about the same (problem discs would slow both). On my new quad system, the 3 drives are not effected by the others and are only sometimes limited by the write speed of the hard drive.

The best benefit to ripping multiple discs at once, however, is start 3 and being able to walk away to do other things. I usually get 6 to 10 titles at a time and having to restart the process 2-3 times is much more convenient than 6-10 times.

Comment

Working...
                  X