This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU dual gpu- not what you think

well technically 3, i have both an ati and nvidia gpu in my system like in this post here (http://forums.overclockersclub.com/i...owtopic=174041)
    where my 4870x2 handles my display and video processing and my old 8800gts handles physx. my problem is dvdfab will not reconize the nvidia card in the system and therefore can't use cuda h.264 encoding to speed things up.

so is there any way to force dvdfab to see the 2nd card so that i can maybe use dxva for decoding and cude+software for encoding?

I think it's the nvidia card. I had a single 8800gtx in my box and DVDFab would never recognize it even though it is a CUDA card. Now I have a 9800 GT which DVDFab recognizes as encode/decode CUDA capable but DVDFab will not use it in processing. DVDFab's implementation of CUDA GPU acceleration is a mess and should not be presented as commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by drobo View Post
      Now I have a 9800 GT which DVDFab recognizes as encode/decode CUDA capable but DVDFab will not use it in processing. DVDFab's implementation of CUDA GPU acceleration is a mess
      It's not mess, it just a not an idiot-proof

and should not be presented as commercial.
      and who said that not idiot-proof program can't be commercial?
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

In that case, I would suggest that some of the implementations & drivers for this class of cards should not be presented as commercial either!!!
        Last edited by GregiBoy; 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

A little sensitive, huh? It's nothing personal so there is no need to name call. It's just software not your child or pet. I wish it worked.

Comment

A little sensitive, huh? It's nothing personal so there is no need to name call. It's just software not your child or pet. I wish it worked.
            It's not name calling or otherwise, it just a statement of fact. If somebody's comp isn't configured right, or hardware in complete disarray, or drivers all over the place, etc. etc. don't blame on just one of the piece of software you happen to have installed on your machine. Please be fair to software that is straggle through disorderly mazes of hardware, trying to conduct its fragile process. To satisfy your curiosity, please take a look at my post here:

This is just off-shelf LAPTOP with mobile card and mediocre all around hardware. All I did is open the box, plug it in, run update routine using Windows Update, cleaned with Cclean to get rid of commercial crap, and installed my video ripping/conversion "gentleman's kit": GPU Monitor, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, MediaInfo, BDInfo, ImgBurn, DVDFab 7, DVDFab VD, DVDFab Passkey. That's it!!! And look at the performance.
            And then, I compared it with my "kick ass" desktop with GTX295 and all that crap that's doing much worse than this "joke" laptop... go figure.
            I guess my message is to before you blame third party product, take a good look at environment you have created for that software. Throwing bunch of hi-end components in a box doesn't mean that box will demonstrate extraordinary performance and do miracles.
            You wish it worked, I wish it too, not software though, your machine.
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Now that I have your attention maybe you can help me. My machine is update to latest windows and graphic drivers. I use much the same apps as you those being GPU Monitor, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, MediaInfo, BDInfo, ImgBurn, DVDFab 7 (Blu to Blu). I have cleaned with latest registry cleaners such as CCleaner, WiseRegistry Cleaner, and Advanced System Care. My machine runs fast and fine with all apps including DVDFab 7 except for the CUDA GPU acceleration app. It runs great with other video encode/decode CUDA software. I need help. Since you played the number game card I will try to compare with the following info. Thanks.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

CPU: Intel Core 2Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz 3.00GHz
              RAM: 6 GB
              GPU: nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
              BD-ROM: Pioneer BDR-205

DVDFab A/V Codec settings:
              Decoder:
              H.264 - CoreAVC
              VC1 - CUDA
              MPEG2 - Software

Encoder:
              H.264 - Software+CUDA

Tested movie: Avatar (codec MPEG-4 AVC video, 1080p, audio DTS-HD MA)
              Source is previously ripped to HDD as BR ISO

Tested conversion:

"Blu-ray to Blu-ray", Main Movie, BD25 1080p
              CUDA GPU Acceleration enabled for both decoding and encoding

CPU Load: 80-96%
              RAM use: 80%
              GPU Load: 0%
              Memory use: 0 MB (0%)
              GPU Temperature: 45C
              Processing speed, average: 1.95 MB/s
              Processing time: 5:32:12
              Output Bitrate: 14280 Kbps
              Folder Size: 22.8 Gig

Comment

First of all, lets streamline your GPU.
                My experience prove that only this one doesn't interfere with GPU. (There are other opinions - I'm talking about my personal experience). Do you use same one?? Take a look, download from my folder:
                4shared is a perfect place to store your pictures, documents, videos and files, so you can share them with friends, family, and the world. Claim your free 15GB now!

Second, open your card with nVIDIA Control Panel, turn off PhysX and set card as single-GPU.
                Third, disable and turn off ALL non-essential background processes, including AV and Firewall.
                *note. on my machine I don't have AV and Firewall, Update and other crap are disabled. my machine is off-line. I plug it into web only for maintenance and updates manually.
                Please keep your A/V Codec settings and try to run BR2BR main movie BD9 1080p, Remove HD audio.
                Just a test, tell me what you see (on my GPU monitor). If you have different GPU Monitor - disable it.
                sigpic

Comment

OK, I turned off AV and Windows firewall. NVidia control panel options for PhysX are Automatic, GPU, and CPU. I set it to CPU. I am using the GPU Monitor downloaded from your link. DVDFab processing feedback window says CoreAVC for video decoding enabled, CUDA GPU acceleration for video encoding enable. GPU Monitor says GPU Load 0%, Mem 0%. Same thing as before.

Comment

Hmmmm. Go to Device Manager ->Display Adapters (right click) ->Properties -> Driver tab

Give me info on your driver. Thx
                    sigpic

Comment

Nvidia

5/21/2010

Comment

Nvidia

5/21/2010

What kind of driver is it??? Current driver is 197.45 (that's last digits should be) yours showed 257.15?????? What is it? Where you got it???
                        Heres your driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_wi...7.45_whql.html

Download and reinstall driver please
                        sigpic

Comment

257.15 is the newest Beta Nvidia driver for my card. I had 197.45 installed before but it did not work either. Same results as the newest Beta version.

Comment

257.15 is the newest Beta Nvidia driver for my card. I had 197.45 installed before but it did not work either. Same results as the newest Beta version.
                            OK, Fine. Go back to that Driver info window and roll driver back.
                            sigpic

Comment

OK, captain. Rolled back driver to 197.45, verified in device manager. AV off, firewall off, encode to dv9 1080p, no change 0% CPU load, 0% mem useage, just as before.

Comment

Working...
                              X