Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The connection was reset" or "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

Whenever I am ripping a DVD with DVDFab or burning a DVD with ImgBurn and I try to browse the web, I constantly get the message "The connection was reset" in Firefox, or "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" in IE8, or "This webpage is not available." in Google Chrome, or "Connection closed by remote server" in Opera, or "Safari can’t open the page." with "kCFErrorDomainWinSock:10054" in Safari.

Then sometimes the page loads but the CSS doesn't. This happens sporadically, not every time, and I can always keep reloading the page until it shows up. Since it happens when I'm ripping or burning, I don't think this issue is specifically due to DVDFab, but thought you guys might be able to help me locate and fix the problem.

I have a cable modem plugged into a Linksys router, and my computer is connected via an ethernet cable to the router. I'm running Windows XP with all the latest patches and fixes. It's happened with every version of DVDFab that I've used, from version 6 to the most recent, and it doesn't seem to happen on the laptop which is running very similar software. I read this other thread (http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=4796) and tried the ASPI fix suggested but it didn't seem to help.

Enough to drive you crazy, huh?
    Just popped in quickly...still stuck at work.

Anything else using the internet connection?
    Something like Magicjack comes immediately to mind
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I read about Magicjack but I don't have it. As far as I know nothing else is using the internet connection. I run regular virus and malware scans so my machine should be pretty clean.

Comment

Well I would try disabling all anti-malware protection for starters, including anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewalls, pop-up blockers, anything thats running. Shut the whole darn program down. Then try it out once. And if you happen to have all of those internet browsers installed at once, uninstall every single one(except internet explorer which is a little harder to do) and re-install each separately, trying each one. See if that works and report back.
        SPECS
        DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
        SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Yeah, disabling all antivirus, anti-malware, firewall, peerblock, and all other non-essental software was one of the first things I tried. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I didn't have all of those browsers before the problem started happening. I installed them afterward to see if any of them would help.

Comment

Originally posted by primehalo View Post
            Whenever I am ripping a DVD with DVDFab or burning a DVD with ImgBurn and I try to browse the web, I constantly get the message "The connection was reset" in Firefox, or "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" in IE8, or "This webpage is not available." in Google Chrome, or "Connection closed by remote server" in Opera, or "Safari can’t open the page." with "kCFErrorDomainWinSock:10054" in Safari.

Then sometimes the page loads but the CSS doesn't. This happens sporadically, not every time, and I can always keep reloading the page until it shows up. Since it happens when I'm ripping or burning, I don't think this issue is specifically due to DVDFab, but thought you guys might be able to help me locate and fix the problem.

I have a cable modem plugged into a Linksys router, and my computer is connected via an ethernet cable to the router. I'm running Windows XP with all the latest patches and fixes. It's happened with every version of DVDFab that I've used, from version 6 to the most recent, and it doesn't seem to happen on the laptop which is running very similar software. I read this other thread (http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=4796) and tried the ASPI fix suggested but it didn't seem to help.
            You state it happens when ripping with DVDFab and also when burning with ImgBurn, does this mean you have DVDFab using ImgBurn as the burn engine ? or does this happen also when using ImgBurn as a standalone program ?

If denying DVDFab access to the internet..viva-> firewall does not resolve your issue you may want to look at some of the settings within "Services" located in "Administrative Tools"

Comment

You might want to include more specifications for the hardware you are using. I'm guessing that somehow your network card is CPU or I/O bound.

Comment

I use DVDFab and ImgBurn as stand-alone programs. Once DVDFab is done ripping I close the program down, and whenever I'm ready to burn a disc I open ImgBurn.

I have not yet tried blocking either from accessing the internet. The programs themselves aren't interfering with my internet connection as I can have both open with no problems, it's only when they are doing something with the DVD drive that there is a problem.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530, and has the same DVD burner and network card that it originally came with. The network adapter, according to the Windows' device manager, is an Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection. The DVD burner is an Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-51705. There is updated firmware out there for this drive, but I can't install it because the drive is OEM and won't accept the firmware; Dell does not offer updated firmware for it
                Last edited by primehalo; 07-06-2010, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I set my firewall to block DVDFab, but it's not making any difference.

Comment

The problem is likely not that DVDFab (or ImgBurn) is accessing the network. Both the ripping and burning operations are probably saturating the I/O channels on your machine. In essence, your computer is working so hard that it is not processing the network packets before they timeout.

You might check your memory usage at the time of the problem. If you are using swap memory then your computer is trying to access the hard drive for the programs that are running at the same time that the rip/burn process is accessing the hard drive as fast as possible.

Another thing to consider is any spyware/crapware that has gotten installed over the years. Spybot and Ad-Aware are favourites of mine to help remove such things that your virus scanner and firewall are likely to miss. I've seen some poorly written programs that take up half the resources of the PC.

Another recommendation from the old guard here would be to not be multitasking while burning (ripping is ok) unless you have a very good machine (quad-core). You can easily create playback problems on the disc in spots where the burn process was starved for data because the PC was busy rendering your web page.

Comment

I agree that it's almost definitely not caused by the programs trying to access the internet. My computer is a dual-core 2.20Ghz with 2GB RAM. As comparison, my wife's laptop is a single 2GHz CPU with 1GB RAM, and we never encounter this issue when ripping on her machine. I've even tried shutting down every non-essential process while ripping, but didn't seem to make a difference. Still, I will try to remember to look at the memory usage as I'm ripping and browsing at the same time. Oh, and my page file is set to 2046MB initial, 4092MB max.

To combat malware, I have Super Anti-Spyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and Spybot. That is in addition to antivirus and Microsoft's Defender.

I don't multitask while burning, only ripping.

Comment

I think it is about time that you looked at an O/S re-install.......
                        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Have you tried taking the power off the router for a minute or so, plugging it back up and letting it reboot. An instantaneous power interruption can cause a router to do very strange things.
                          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Powered off both the router and the modem several times for various other reasons, but it never made any difference. I'm beginning to think that reinstalling Windows XP is the only thing that could fix it, but that's a much bigger pain than just dealing with this annoyance.

Comment

Solved!

I found that my DVD drive was using the PIO transfer mode instead of DMA for some reason, and when I reset it back to Ultra DMA Mode 4 I found that all these connection errors stopped

Comment

Working...
                              X