This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network media players for playback on TV

I currently have a Hauppauge Media MVP. It plays back MPEG-1 and -2 and DivX (I encode in XviD). I'm not entirely happy with it; not a wide range of playback formats, takes a long time for AVIs to start, interface is a bit lacking, and can hose up.

What do you recommend as far as playback on TV for recorded media (media on PC)? What are good sites to look further into this type of product?

Thank you.

I'd at least start here and also troll the A/V forums. Google is your friend.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thank you. From a PM I got to http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...k+media+player in case anyone else is as new to this as I.

Comment

I personally like the WD TV Live. Excellent networking and supports most formats. Does not support menus. Good price.

I have a TVIX R-3310. Works ok. Weak networking and poor support.

This site has several players. http://www.digitalconnection.com/Default.asp

Comment

Apple TV.

I own 3 and love them. I can stream(wired or wireless(n)) from Itunes, all movies, pics and songs between my pc to my TV.
          A kid can set it up.
          Just open the necessary ports on your pc firewall.
          Last edited by BIG; 01-22-2010, 06:18 PM.
          CPU 1 Intel Xeon ES5420 @2.5GHz Harptertown 45nm
          CPU 2 Intel Xeon ES5420 @2.5GHz Harptertown 45nm
          8GB Dual In Line Memory Module, 2G, 2X1G, 667, 2R, Error Correction Code
          Intel 5400B Chipset -
          Nvidia Quadro FX 570 2048MB
          Encoding fps-250.xx
          Optical Drive: PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S ATA Device - Firmware upgraded

DVDFAB 6.2.2.0-Registered.

Comment

I am just figuring this but make sure the player supports DLNA. This way you can pump dlna media from a server to your box. For example, I was able to pump Sirius radio to the WD TV Live.

Comment

I meant to post this here but accidentally posted it in another thread.

I would like to mention WD TV Live appears to be the best box today. It seems like everyone is releasing a media box this year. So the landscape will be completely different in 6 months. Example of 2 new ones.

Comment

I have a DLNA Samsung Plasma and an DLNA DirecTV HD-DVR and have used the DLNA capability to watch movies that are on my pc, but Apple TV by far is superior in that its simple to use and I can stream via internet or my pc all movies, music, photos and much more, all with a single click of a remote. The menu is second to none as I enjoy the professional and fluid look.
                Mine have worked flawlessly right out of the box, and with simple setup and updates from Apple keeping these small machines ahead of the competition. I purchase only the 40GB model and I am able to stream over 500 movies,songs and photos from my personal library and have access to thousands more online. Can watch Youtube, listen to satellite radio, connect to mobile me, Flickr, search podcast from a multitude of sources. Have access to music videos, tv programs, tv shows.
                You also have access to the new (long)movie previews before they hit the box office. A feature which my family really loves,helps us plan as we are avid movie goers!

The only shortfall is it supports only the Apple format, but does DVDFab convert to mp4, yes??
                Which works for me on my personal Library, which I am archiving , thanks to these two marvelous products, even my wife can use this product without bugging me. Finally, I did something right!!

Sure, I previewed the Linksys, Buffalo and other competitors but none of them came close to what I was looking for in a media player. Ease of setup, funtionality, reliability, quality product by a company that has to offer no excuses.

Also, the wireless on these units works flawlessly. Apple always puts out TOP NOTCH products.
                THE APPLE TV is the IPOD for TV and it has far exceeded my expectations!!!!

I guess it depends on what your needs and wants are.

BIG
                Last edited by BIG; 01-25-2010, 03:24 AM.
                CPU 1 Intel Xeon ES5420 @2.5GHz Harptertown 45nm
                CPU 2 Intel Xeon ES5420 @2.5GHz Harptertown 45nm
                8GB Dual In Line Memory Module, 2G, 2X1G, 667, 2R, Error Correction Code
                Intel 5400B Chipset -
                Nvidia Quadro FX 570 2048MB
                Encoding fps-250.xx
                Optical Drive: PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S ATA Device - Firmware upgraded

DVDFAB 6.2.2.0-Registered.

Comment

My view is that Apple & WD have only just really realised the importance of this range of products and are now trying to capitalise on them.

There are far more mature products out there (I have been involved in player development for over 8 years and for the last 3 have imported our own range from China).

A few criterea that I use in selection of products are the following:-

Connectivity of the product MUST allow the connection of at least three methods of video, HDMI, Component & Composite, so that "Legacy" televisions can be connected.

Connectivity of the product MUST allow the connection of at least three methods of audio, Stereo L/R, Optical 5.1 & Co-Ax 5.1, so that "Legacy" A/V Amplifiers can be connected.

The player must reliably play XVid/DivX AVI files containing AC-3 5.1 sound and the sound must be correctly sent and decoded by the A/V systems. This is because over 90% of content that is freely available on the internet is in this format and is really a default "industry-standard".

There are a lot of other things to look for but this is a start point.

Hope this helps.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Great thoughts GregiBoy. Which ones are the top 3-5 on your list given your criteria?

Comment

Working...
                    X