• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optical Drives Anyone got a lightscribe CDRW / DVDRW

Anyone got a lightscribe CDRW / DVDRW

brand, quality of image, usefulness???

IDE or SATA???

If you don't know the burner can burn a grayscale image into the plastic of the disc.

Like how you see those commercials to laser etech images into electronic parts for theft ID.

IM out of IDE slots but have unused SATA slots, wonder if they can be used at the same time also if anyone knows for sure.

MSI PM8M-V MB

Comment

I have 4 lightscribe DVD drives but have never used them for that. On my main computer 2 are SATA and the other is a external USB drive. My other computer has a IDE but never used that for lightscribe as well. They are all LG DVD drives

Comment

Originally posted by gator295 View Post
        IM out of IDE slots but have unused SATA slots, wonder if they can be used at the same time also if anyone knows for sure.

MSI PM8M-V MB
        Sure they can, no problem with the SATA ODD's as long as your pc is up to it.
        You just don't want multiple PATA (IDE) ODD's on the same IDE cable.

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
        I have 4 lightscribe DVD drives but have never used them for that. On my main computer 2 are SATA and the other is a external USB drive. My other computer has a IDE but never used that for lightscribe as well. They are all LG DVD drives
        Hahaha,
        I think I've owned about 8 lightscribe burners and never once have I used lightscribe.
        They've just been solid burners at really good prices from the egg
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

I have owned 1 lightscribe burner for about 3 years now and used it once. To much stuffing around setting up everything
          Cant beat the old marker pen

Comment

I have 4 burners I use currently (LG) and one that died after a good while (memorex) and I light scribe every backup I make. I think they are great. There are several sites out there for DVD covers and most times I will grab an image from one of those sites use Photoshop to convert the color image to gray-scale (The LS Control Panel will convert to gray-scale as well but I feel I get better contrast in the images when spending about 30 seconds with it in PhotoShop first). Then burn the cover ,normally twice, (with lightscribe the more times you run it through the darker the label gets ) each run takes my machine about 20 minutes to complete.

When I back up copies of TV seasons I always like to customize (using Nero Cover designer ) the label adding each episodes number, title, air date, ect. I normally find a wikki with an episode guide to find out this information. It takes some time but if I want to re-watch a particular episode I just look through the disks till I find it rather than trowing each one into the DVD player till I find the right episode.

On the occasions when I make someone a driver disk I can put there name on it (and driver info) and make it look very professional at the cost of about 5 min of my time and I almost always get a wow out of that person.
            Last edited by Yoder; 10-29-2010, 04:30 PM. Reason: added some info

Comment

I tried the sample disk that came with my drive but it took longer to make the lightscribe label than the backup so that was the end of that.
              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

True but you spend about 5 min on design then walk away, unless you really need that optical drive to do other things...

Comment

My lightscribe drive is also my Blu-ray Burner, and I just feel like I'm putting unnecessary wear and tear on my burner by using lightscribe, so I don't use it anymore. I've probably made 5 discs or so, but it takes too dang long, so it ain't for me. Sharpie here I come.
                  SPECS
                  DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                  SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Working...
                  X