X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Product is right for me?

Hi there,
    Newbie here.
    I need help selecting the right DVDFab product based on my needs.

I would like to copy my DVDs to my hard drive for viewing on my main 50" screen. I will be using a Netgear EVA2000 which should play MPEG-4 or H.264 amongst other file types but I would also like to view them on my 10" netbook when traveling.

Do I need to copy the DVD twice at two different resolutions?

I am not sure if I need DVD to DVD or DVD to Mobile.

Thanks for your help.
    Paul

Please read this thread.

"SEARCH" is your friend !!!!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Please read this thread.

"SEARCH" is your friend !!!!
      Thanks, I have read that thread already but I'm still unsure. Maybe I'll ask my questions another way.

1. Does DVD to DVD have the ability to rip to a single MPEG-4 or H.264 file on a hard drive?

2. I have used the trial of DVD to Mobile, it works great for my netbook but can it rip to a resolution big enough for my main screen?

3. Can I have one ripped file for viewing both on my big screen and my netbook or would the higher res of the file choke up the netbook?

Thanks.

Comment

Answers to your questions:-

1. No
        2. Yes. I output to a 52" HD Samsung
        3. Maybe... Trial & Error, really subjective on what you feel is the best for you... I can do it with my Netbook but can't do much else with it whilst playing.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks Gregiboy,
          If you view files created with DVD to Mobile on your big screen, that tells me that is what I should purchase, I know it works for my netbook at the smaller resolution. Could you tell me what resolution setting I should select for the output file for a big screen? The options I see all seem to be pretty small, geared for a small mobile device. If I need to rip two copies, one for the big screen and one for the netbook I can deal with that.

Comment

I use the following as a start point for big screen playback but it depends on what device you are going to use to play it on the big screen. A little bit of trial and error will see you fine tuning it to suit you.

Use the "generic.avi.xvid audiocopy" profile as a start point with an 1100 video bitrate, framerate same as source and a resolution with the same width as the DVD source. 720 x XXX (Pal), 704 x XXX (NTSC)

Have a read of my "Best Practices: DVD to Mobile" in the Knowledgebase thread (In the link in my sig below)

Comment

Thanks again or your help!
              Paul

Comment

To play this on your Netbook, it would be best to download the free VLC player which has all the codecs that you need play this file contained internally.

Comment

Will do.
                  Just purchased DVD to DVD and DVD to Mobile.
                  Thanks for your help.
                  Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X