This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed to create directory

I have the absolute latest version of the software. I am attempting to copy The Man with the Golden Gun to an external hard drive. After initial setup, when I select Start, I get the message "Failed to create directory." This has happened before w/ other movies, most notably a couple of the Planet of the Apes movies. Any thoughts? Thanks.

So this appears to occur randomly with just certain movies?
    It's likely that you have illegal characters in the file path that is created for a specific temporary directory and movie.

It's also possible that the file path for the temp directory is not valid overall.
    Please check Common Settings > General
    Be certain that the location exists, has sufficient space and has windows compliant nomenclature
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

this does occur randomly. i typically do not use illegal characters in the file path. i checked the Common Settings>General issue and since i don't know enough about it, it all seemed to be fine. i know i have enough memory and space on my external hard drive for the movie.

any other thoughts?

Comment

Try saving to the internal HDD to see if that works as it might just be saving to external as the problem

Comment

i am currently saving it to the C drive. i will then attempt to move it to my external hard drive (H). thanks.

Comment

use the cut and paste as that works for me

Comment

Originally posted by msganderson View Post
              this does occur randomly. i typically do not use illegal characters in the file path. i checked the Common Settings>General issue and since i don't know enough about it, it all seemed to be fine. i know i have enough memory and space on my external hard drive for the movie.

any other thoughts?
              Sorry, my bad. I meant to add that it's not just illegal characters.
              Sometimes the temp directory simply has too many characters.
              Next time you get an error, try shortening and renaming.

Am I understanding you correctly that this occurs when writing to the c: hdd as well as the h: ext hdd ?

Is the ext hdd usb or SATA?

Could you please post logs on both successful and unsuccessful burns?

The default location is:
              C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Last edited by maineman; 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM.

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

maineman post #5 says it saving to C drive so only when saving to external from what I understood

Comment

Thanks AGJ, I did catch that and think you're right, but I'm just not certain.
                  Since it's occurring randomly and he's writing to both hdds, I just don't want to assume something I'm not sure of

Comment

He only mentioned external HDD until I mentioned to try internal HDD but would like to know for sure as well

Comment

Hi msganderson
                      I am also confused
                      Originally posted by msganderson View Post
                      i am currently saving it to the C drive. i will then attempt to move it to my external hard drive (H). thanks.
                      Why not just save it to your external first and not go from C: drive and then transfer it to your external drive H:???

Also how is your external formatted???
                      Could you please post the logs Maineman requested
                      Thanks
                      CBR929
                      Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Good poinf CBR.

If he's trying to do an ISO to a FAT32 drive, the ~4Gb limit could be biting him on the a#$e.

Obviously more detail is needed which does not seem to be forthcoming.
                        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                          Good poinf CBR.

If he's trying to do an ISO to a FAT32 drive, the ~4Gb limit could be biting him on the a#$e.
                          Obviously more detail is needed which does not seem to be forthcoming.
                          That is exactly why I asked
                          Those logs sure would be nice
                          CBR929
                          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
                          X