Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best format to make to play off hard drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best format to make to play off hard drive?

I have a LG BD570 which can play mkv and other formats directly from a hard drive plugged into it's usb port. What will give m the same quality as a blu-ray? I am putting them on bd-r but came across some movies in mkv format that are awsome quality and could fit tons on a 1.5tb?

Originally posted by hanibal View Post
    I have a LG BD570 which can play mkv and other formats directly from a hard drive plugged into it's usb port. What will give m the same quality as a blu-ray? I am putting them on bd-r but came across some movies in mkv format that are awsome quality and could fit tons on a 1.5tb?

Sorry... Don't mean to spoil your illusion, but the LG BD570 only plays discs... not files on your USB-attached HD...

Playback is a function of whatever player you're using, and most any player will do, as long as it supports the format you've stored the files in...

If you're happy with the MKV container format, then by all means stick with it... as long as you're playing the files on your computer, you're in good shape.

If you opt to go with an external device to enable you to use any TV in your home, make sure you pick one that supports the format you've been using for storage.

DC

Comment

uhh no!!! It has a usb port and i have been playing tons of files from a hard drive and wifi. No Illusion. It also plays from a usb stick. Check it out online.
      Last edited by hanibal; 08-10-2010, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I'd stick with .mkv.
        It's the container of choice these days and two of my colleagues, Ipopov and GregiBoy (both of whom are resident experts here), swear by .mkv.

You already know the picture quality is great and I see your LG supports Dolby TrueHD.
        The only other stumbling block I would anticipate is the subtitle issue should you wish to retain this function when playing back from the hdd.
        I mention this because I face this very problem with .mkv.
        I've just started with BD so I'm very early in the learning curve myself.
        You can always use a 3rd party software to remedy this.

The other container that I'd consider is .ISO, but I don't think your LG will support this format and .mkv will be hard to beat
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by hanibal View Post
          hanibal
          you begin to disappoint me.
          First of all, I having dialog with you within WD TV Thread on a very same subject, yet you have started another one, duplicating thread.
          Second, "coming across some movies in mkv format" means only one thing - torrent. And this Forum is wrong place to discuss it, share expertise, and it's against of rules of this forum. I think you deserve warning... don't you agree?
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

this one was started way before and no one answered then i cam across the other discussion. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
            X