This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about MKV convert

I have been following the forum about ripping to HD then DVD to Mobile into the MKV container. Up to now I was ripping to an external HD and only using the DVD to Mobile to put onto PDA and iPod. When I wanted to view a movie I just pluged the external HD into a WDTV media drive connected to my 42"LG Plasma TV. I tried both ways last night with the same movie and could not pick the difference, except the file size.
    I would like to ask if I have missed something by not doing this extra convert, or is it only to save storage space?

It more user preference. I rip and save all DVDs to hard drive using the Full Disc and still burn to DVD as well. Soon I will stop burning to DVD and just save to hard drive as I am going to build a HTPC with hot swappable hard drive bays. I also compress all DVDs to a SL 4.7gb blank DVD so the files I have saved are as well all 4.7gb in size. If I want to watch on my PSP I will just choose a DVD folder and convert that to PSP and transfer to PSP to watch. Same goes for my cell phone and other stuff.

But yeah it mainly to save storage space and to make it easier to transfer over to the portable device as well.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply, makes sense the do the convert, esp the episode DVD's

Comment

Also, some media plares do not support menus when playing from a folder/iso.

Another point that I would make on the MKV format. I generally end up with MKV movie files from DVD at less than 1.5Gb with the quality close as dammit to the original DVD. This way, my library only takes up a quarter of the space.

Space becomes a real consideration when you have a large library such as I do of well over 1000 movies, 1500 episodes of TV shows & innumerable concert DVD's.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Thanks GregiBoy, I will take your advice as my collection is also fairly large as well.
          Also I hope the sun is shining up your way, I'm heading to the sunshine state tomorrow for a short holliday. Thanks again

Comment

Give me a calll and we could have a couple of beers!!!
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
            X