This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Hardware New Computer recomendations

Hello! I am looking to buy a new computer and want to rip my blurays at a fast speed. Any recommendations for great setup? Is there a good reasonable system for sale at Costco or another retailer, or am i better off building. I'm not looking for gaming, just want to rip fast!

Tough to say without knowing your budget Andy, but mucho cores, and a high-end nVidia card are critical.
    I much prefer a custom build...put in exactly what you want and nothing that you don't want, in particular, all that dang bloatware.
    Besides, it's fun

I finished a core i7 build last Oct '09 to coincide with the release of Win7.
    Nothing fancy, mind you, but I'm very happy with it.
    The main guts...all from newegg:

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI ...

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC PSU

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

and assorted other components...
    HDD (1 TB each) x 5
    ODD x 4
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I have a frys nearby and have built a computer before...just looking for a quick and easy way to get some ripping done. Sounds like a need a good processor, lots of memory right? and a good video card???

Comment

Do not buy an ATI card!!! And research the GPU thread here!!!
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by andy View Post
          Thanks for the reply! I have a frys nearby and have built a computer before...just looking for a quick and easy way to get some ripping done. Sounds like a need a good processor, lots of memory right? and a good video card???
          Yes, lots of cores...more is better...
          Originally posted by maineman View Post
          a high-end nVidia card
          or stated another way...

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          Do not buy an ATI card!!! And research the GPU thread here!!!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Dumb question... Where the heck is the GPU thread???? Thanks!!

Comment

I believe Greg wants to to look over results here:
              Post your GPU chipset results here!

Comment

Working...
              X