What PC upgrades would speed up DVDFab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What PC upgrades would speed up DVDFab?

I am in the process of building a dedicated PC for DVDFab. I wanted to get opinions from the local savy folks here on what item should this PC have to give me the best performance with DVDFab.

Does it QUAD Core Processor Help?
    Is it the video card with lots ram the ticket?
    What hardware wise does DVDFab need to really make it tick?

Remember this PC will serve no other function so I will me streamlining it as much as I can.

Thanks

Originally posted by Ozzie View Post
    I am in the process of building a dedicated PC for DVDFab. I wanted to get opinions from the local savy folks here on what item should this PC have to give me the best performance with DVDFab.

Does it QUAD Core Processor Help?
    Not just help, it makes world of difference! i7 I would recommend to go with, not top of the line, but something reasonable priced. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115225

Is it the video card with lots ram the ticket?
    Videocard MUST be nVIDIA to enjoy CUDA acceleration. Somwhere in mid-range of 200 series cards (you can go with Fermi-based (400 series) cards as well). Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127495
    or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125334
    Video processing takes a very little amount of videocard memory so, anything will work.
    Manufacturer is matter of personal preference and experience. I personally prefer MSI, but most others are good too.

What hardware wise does DVDFab need to really make it tick?
    It's not really a particular piece of harware, but combination and balance. Super-pooper videocard would be absolutely useless or even slow down process if your CPU is too weak to maintain process and run CUDA script for GPU at the same time. Combination above will give you good processing balance between hardware components. i7 is powerful enough for both parallel computing and CPU processing if you decide to turn CUDA off.
    Another thing is memory. For above combination I found 6-8 GB absolutely sufficient (6 GB if 200-series card, and 8 GB if 400-series card). DDR3 of course.
    However, with this combination, HDD could be your bottleneck. I would suggest to get fastest HDD you can afford. 15000 RPM would be ideal. Again, manufacturer is a personal preference. I like WD out of all. Please do not fall for SSDs - I have one.... not much of speed gain, but very, very expensive. Array of 15000 RPM drives on RAID will do much better job for you.
    Oops, forgot to mention one of the most crucial parts - cooling. Very, very important!!!! Video processing generates a lot of heat. Cooling becoming critical part.
    Last edited by IPopov50; 08-27-2010, 05:06 PM. Reason: Typo
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I was not familiar with CUDA, it sounds like this is a software that works with the nVidia card. Is it selectable on/of via an nVidia menu I assume.

Comment

Couldn't agree more with my good pal IPopov50.
        Last Oct, I built a new rig to coincide with the retail release of Win7.

I have the very same cpu...dependable, fast and solid...and doesn't cost $900.

I went with this card last Fall,
        EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
        It's out of stock now and frankly, $224 seems a bit high to me.
        I think I paid about $200 which wasn't bad for a higher-end card last year.
        I wasn't about to pay $600 for more card.
        Very decent card.

Anyway, you get the idea.
        nVidia/CUDA is a must.

Nothing special to do here.
        Just install it, Fab will recognize it and you should be all set.

Again, absolutely...adequate cooling is essential.
        I went with this beast:
        COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler.

It was a bear fitting it in with the video card, but well worth it.
        Lottsa good sized fans and I'm a happy camper.

And don't go cheap on the psu. While you need power, you need stable, quality power.
        It's not just a matter of more watts is better.
        Last edited by maineman; 08-27-2010, 06:04 PM.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie View Post
          Thanks for the reply, I was not familiar with CUDA, it sounds like this is a software that works with the nVidia card.
          CUDA is abbreviation for nVIDIA's parallel computing. You can learn details by google it or visit nvidia.com
          In simple terms, what it does is engaging GPU (Graphics Processing Unit - processor in your videocard) into task processing, i.e. transcoding or rendering video, massive statistical calculations, 3D modeling, etc.). Parallel computing speeding up process in multifolds. x10 -x500. That's what will give you a speed. BTW, DVDFab is the only program that works. Others either incapable to use CUDA or having it sideways.

Is it selectable on/of via an nVidia menu I assume.
          No. It could be turned on or off from DVDFab Common Settings under heading A/V Codec
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I have not built a PC in a long while, I did not realize the array of mother boards out there. COuld somebody point out a good mother board that can easily mount the above reccomended gear with little issues.

Comment

Tough to specify one in particular without knowing your wants, needs and budget.
              For a new rig that will perform decently with Fab, I can tell you what I narrowed it down to when I built a new core i7 rig last Oct.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hard to go wrong with Asus. I 've built about 6-7 rigs and have used them consistently. Rock solid boards and this one is no exception.
              Sold out at newegg though.

I actually went with this ASRock board after looking at reviews and recommendations from newegg and Tom's Hardware (Recommended Buy):

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Decent price and very decent board. Some will poo-poo ASRock insisting they're garbage, but that has not been my experience at all. I've been running this board since Oct and it's been a gem.
              Cheaper than Asus or Intel too.
              Asrock's tech support was great. Prompt, responsive to questions and knowledgable.
              Last edited by maineman; 08-29-2010, 07:21 PM.
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel is no longer carried in New Egg, I heard ASUS does have good support but I don't mind spending a bit more if its worth it.

Comment

HDD I am leaning towards the WD 600GB velociraptor anyone with experience on this unit?

Would two of them on RAID 0 do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                  X