Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question - Problems Playing on PS3

Hiya all,

I used the PS3 profile within Ripper and have ripped about a dozen movies, they play on my PC....However they will not play at all on the PS3 either via Memory stick or via TVersity.

Not entirely sure what I am doing wrong..I am new to all this, however assumed that it would be straight forward selecting the PS3 profile.....

Any guidance would be appreciated

I'm not sure abut the streaming part, but to play from a USB drive the mp4 must be inside a "VIDEO" folder. I just tried The Bounty Hunter on a thumb drive and it looked great using 8.0.0.5 maybe the best ever picture quality.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

PS3 playback problems

I'm having the same issue. I've ripped a bunch of DVD's in using the default PS3 settings. Files play fine on PC, however when I move them over to the PS3 (on a USB HD, FAT32 formatted with PS3 folder structure), they will not play. I can see the files, and they play in the "preview" window (before launching them), however once I launch the file, there's just a black screen and nothings plays. I'm using the latest version of DVDFab and latest PS3 software.

Anybody have any ideas?

Comment

Try encoding to an AVI with XVID and AC3 passthrough.

I have to say the mp4 option in FAB is broken in as much as the sound
        encoding is buggy. I still use FAB to rip my DVD's but have to use a.n.other
        program to encode to mp4 with AC3 pass through.

This issue has been around for such a long time now! [hint hint]

MP4 is my prefered format for streaming to my PS3 via a NAS running Twonky.

But I started out using the AVI/XVID/AC3 with no issues at all.

Comment

Does any of the Dev's look at forums??? I bought the software purely for this function, it obviously doesnt work therefore not fit for purpose.....

Comment

To a certain extent I agree with you, am very frustrated that the mp4 sound issue has not been fixed for many months now

BUT I still think FAB is a great product and the best ripper out there, so still a very good investment.

Perhaps it would be reasonable for FAB to refund your DVD Ripper license fee leaving you with the DVD Copy?

I just wished there was some more focused development on some of the bugs, much rather have a monthly release with more fixed myself

Comment

DVD Ripping Questions - New User

Hi All,

I have just started getting into backing up my dvd's/Blu-Rays...I have some questions if people would be kind enough to indulge me....

The plan is to create a library/backup of all my DVD's onto Hard Drives, 1. to have a backup & 2. To play on my PS3 via TVersity or something similar for streaming & 3. I am planning on getting an ipad, so would like to be able copy ripped movies over to the Ipad as required.

I am unsure whether I should create a straight DVD copy, or what I have been doing so far is ripping to PS3 format...Which incidently plays on my pc, but doesnt play on my Ps3...

I am hoping to have easy fast access to my movies so would appreciate peoples thoughts in this area...

I dont know whether the ps3 will play the direct DVD copy or whether it would then need to be converted to another format to play...

Any guidance would be appreciated

Comment

Monty....I am not even getting a picture....The screen goes black as if its about to play then nothing happens...This is either via USB key in the correct structure or via tversity....But the files all play perfectly in Windows media player and itunes....So not entirely sure what the issue is....

I wanted to rip all my dvd's to Hard disk, to allow me playing through my ps3 on the big TV, but also to allow me a quick way of transferring ripped movies on my PSP or Ipad...

If there are any suggestions on a different way of doing the same thing that works, i would love to hear it...I would like as high a quality as possible but still have the same functionality

Cheers

John

Comment

jcvenables:

Your two threads on same subject/questions merged.
                  Starting more threads on same subject will not get help faster.

Comment

I did one with the PS3 defaults, DivX and Xvid audiocopy and all played fine. I found the best bet, an extra step though, is to rip the main movie to 4000MB then make a VOB passthrough for playback quality. IMO streaming to the PS3 is a lost cause! I've tried every way in the world and streaming wireless is worse than a lost cause.

Albert Einstein

Comment

@90312

Not surprised you found wirless streaming rubbish, the PS3 has a very poor wireless adapter in it.

But normal streaming, very surprised, I find it more than adequate, but I do run a gig network between the PS3 and dedicated NAS box.

Out of interest, what streaming s/w did you use and on what platform/device?

Comment

I don't have the good stuff. I just tried software streaming through a wired router and a PC. Never got past the stuttering or shudder whatever it's called. I just have really good luck playing them from the internal HDD and a good 320GB is about $50 US.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Monty for the tip, I encoded to avi/xvid/ac3 and videos play fine. Still seems odd that DVDFab would have a PS3 default that doesn't play on PS3! I'm thinking this might be something with the newest software/firmware (I'm running the latest version). Seems like some people on this thread are able to play the default PS3 encode fine, which also seems odd.

Anyway I'll go with avi/xvid/ac3 for now, maybe try the PS3 default on the next release to see if they fix it. The PS3 default does create slightly smaller files (a 45 minute TV show is around 450MB on the PS3 setting, slightly over 700 with the avi setting).

Still I'm sticking with DVDFab, I've tried a bunch of other products and found none that match the output quality of Fab.

Comment

Working...
                          X