ATI or NVIDEA graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU/GPU ATI or NVIDEA graphics card

hi all, am thinking about getting a new pc, the one im interested in has an i7 processor and an ATI radeon HD5850 graphics card, will that be ok for copying and burning dvds at a decent speed or would i have to get an NVIDEA card that uses CUDA. is there really much difference between the two types of card? thanks in advance. flash.

Ati - pos !!!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by flashgordon View Post
      hi all, am thinking about getting a new pc, the one im interested in has an i7 processor and an ATI radeon HD5850 graphics card, will that be ok for copying and burning dvds at a decent speed or would i have to get an NVIDEA card that uses CUDA. is there really much difference between the two types of card? thanks in advance. flash.
      Yes, there's a world of difference. In simple terms, in relation to hardware acceleration in video processing, nVIDIA card works, and ATI cards doesn't. I hope it simple and clear enough.
      However, you still can use this computer for video processing, and DVDFab will work without GPU acceleration, using just "software" mode; it's just GPU acceleration makes process so much faster... In my case, difference is 50 fps on "software" and 250 fps with GPU acceleration... Decision is yours.
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply Gregiboy, will maybe just get that pc im interested in then with the ATI graphics card, am not to clued up on graphics cards (numbers and specs mean not a lot to me) thanks again. flash.

Comment

thanks IPopov50, was typing last post when i saw yours, (slow typer) on your advice i'll have a good think about that then as it seems the NVIDEA has the edge over the ATI cards. thanks again. flash

Comment

thanks for the quick reply Gregiboy, will maybe just get that pc im interested in then with the ATI graphics card, am not to clued up on graphics cards (numbers and specs mean not a lot to me) thanks again. flash.
            I believe you misunderstood GregiBoy. He's is saying ATI is a piece of "crap" (you get to fill in the actual word here).

IPopov nailed it for you.
            If you're going to be ripping, burning, converting video files with a soon-to-be purchased, higher-end pc,
            NVIDIA is the only logical choice.

Make certain the NVIDIA card supports CUDA
            If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

hi once again, am still looking for the new pc, have noticed that the newer nvidia cards have something called SLI mode or SLI support, just wondered if anybody knew what it meant and would it be of any use. thanks in advance. flash.

Comment

hi once again, am still looking for the new pc, have noticed that the newer nvidia cards have something called SLI mode or SLI support, just wondered if anybody knew what it meant and would it be of any use. thanks in advance. flash.
                If you google SLI, you would find a lot of basic info. However, it's useless feature for parallel computing (GPU acceleration) in video processing. Don't worry about it. BTW, if you get one, don't forget to turn it off when using with DVDFab.
                sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Video Card memory

Hello all and thanks in advance to those who have knowledge (or answers) to my question.

I am looking to buy a video card for my system (Currently using Video on motherboard and it sucks a$$)

So reading the forum - looks like nVidea is the way to go (got it). I have a choice between the following (Trying to keep the cost somewhat reasonable)
                  nVidea GTX 460
                  nVidea GTX 460 Sonic
                  nVidea GTX 460 Cyclone.

Now from what I read, all GTX460 have CUDA support (yay)

From what I can tell, they are all GDDR5, anywhere from 700-725MHZ core clock, all have 3600 MHZ memory clock.

The only difference I see is the Sonic has 2 GB of ram vs the other 2 having 1 GB of ram.

QUESTION: How much of a difference will that extra GB of GDDR5 Ram on the video card have for me when converting Blu Ray Movies from 50GB to 25Gb.

Main System Specs (Currently)
                  AMD Athalon II X4 635 Quad Core
                  3GB Ram
                  LG BH10LS30 Blu Ray burner
                  Western Digital 1TB 64MB 7200RPM (Black) HD

Current process to convert Blu ray
                  1. Copy move (50GB) to hard drive
                  2. Convert from 50GB to 25GB using hard drive - this currently takes 6-12 hours depending on the movie)
                  3. Using ImgBurn - Burn to DVD - takes about 40 minutes up to an hour depending on the movie

Comment

Hello, flashgordon.
                    There is also a rather excellent piece of freeware which can boost the capabilities of an Nvidia card no end and goes by the name of MSI Afterburner 2.1.0.
                    It can add wings to the heels of your graphics card.
                    Been using it with my GTX 240 for a while now, and it makes a diffence.
                    See you all later.

Comment

Working...
                    X