This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Memorex Blank DVD-Rs any good?

I buy Memorex blank DVD-Rs 16x at Best Buy when on sale. I hear there are only 4-5 DVD manufactures who then sell to brand name companies who place their own as labels eg…Memorex, Sony, Verbatim...Is there much of a difference in the brand names?

Any brand best suited to use with DVDFab?

Does anyone recommend Memorex blank DVD-Rs as reliable DVDs or any other brand?

Thanks,

Nope. Would not recommend them.

The only disks that I have seen decent results from on this and other forums are Verbatim (Made in Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Gregiboy,

Thank you, I will stop buying Memorexs. I am now switching to Verbatims. I am sure others on our forum will find this information useful as well.

Comment

Even using Verbatim has become a coin toss as to who made them.
        Of the last few hundred I purchased they were a mixed bag.

India --- ritek R05 001
        Taiwan-- ritek R05 01
        Taiwan-- ritek F16 01

The verbs I purchased yesterday are.
        Taiwan ritek F16 001

I have not seen in Verbatim MCC 004 (MMC 004) in two years. They were very good quality.
        The ritek R05 were junk.
        The ritek F16 01 were all good burns but I do not have the confidence in them as I did in the older Verbatim.

Comment

I posted this on another topic before this topic was started.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GregiBoy (and anyone else),

I guess with most things in Life you usually get better quality with more expensive things, though not always, I normally use Sony DVD-R blank discs and they always seem okay, as long as everything else on the computer is working okay, are they okay too?

The latest unopened stack of them I have says ""Made in Malaysia'', but they appear to be genuine Sony.

Comment

not a problem for me....

I have burned thousands of disc using all brands. I have not found a problem with any of them.
            HP, verbatim, gq, memorex, sony...basically whatever is on sale.
            noone has ever said " hey that movie looks like you burned it on (name your brand) wise choice."
            I guess it's just like your preference in a car, you think your choice is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by tamalyn View Post
              I have burned thousands of disc using all brands. I have not found a problem with any of them.
              HP, verbatim, gq, memorex, sony...basically whatever is on sale.
              noone has ever said " hey that movie looks like you burned it on (name your brand) wise choice."
              I guess it's just like your preference in a car, you think your choice is the best.
              That was why I ask previously, I use the Sony DVDs, and (when my computer and DVDFab are working okay), I have had no trouble with them.

Comment

I too use whatever is on sale and have no problems. I have been told Sony's are bad but I used them a few weeks ago with no problems. I think it's just a preference thing myself. I'm using Magnavox now because I found them at office max for $10 for 50 discs and I bought 4 boxes and should have gotten more.

Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by kasiestracy View Post
                  I too use whatever is on sale and have no problems. I have been told Sony's are bad but I used them a few weeks ago with no problems. I think it's just a preference thing myself. I'm using Magnavox now because I found them at office max for $10 for 50 discs and I bought 4 boxes and should have gotten more.

Tracy
                  As long as you didn't go all the way to ''Wally World'' again to get them.

By the way, was it open when you got there, or closed like when the Griswalds finally arrived?

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post

India --- ritek R05 001
                    Taiwan-- ritek R05 01
                    Taiwan-- ritek F16 01

Taiwan ritek F16 001

I have not seen in Verbatim MCC 004 (MMC 004) in two years. They were very good quality.
                    The ritek R05 were junk.
                    The ritek F16 01 were all good burns but I do not have the confidence in them as I did in the older Verbatim.
                    To note, I just purchased a 25pack spindle of Verbatim DVD+R "Lightscribe Colored" (so definitely recently manufactured)
                    Made in Taiwan and according to IMGBurn Manuf. ID is MCC-004-00

@GregiBoy mentioned Singapore not sure if they differed or were also MCC-004's

The Hardware/Firmware is still the key to whether Junk or Good media is usable. The idea I gather being better media should be more widely usable w/o being a spindle of Coasters.

I just got a new Plexi aka 'Lite-On' so I hope the 2 will play nice.

So I should I stock up on these Verbatim MCC 004's if all goes well? Are they actually becoming hard to find and still one of the top medias?

----

P.S. http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/0...d-of-wal-mart/

There's debate on how the Nick got started. Some say from the Movie, some 'Where's Wally/Where's Waldo and others the relation to Disney and his World. (which basically is where the movie got it from).

@davidh - Well depending on where Tracy's is, lots are open 24hrs so other than Christmas their open. I've never even known them to close while remodeling so even the Griswalds would catch them open
                    Last edited by phonedudes; 10-26-2009, 07:13 AM. Reason: WallyWorld story link

Comment

Hello Phonedudes,

From reading your reply, I think the country where the disc are manufactured makes a big difference?

How would you rank the top 5 countries of manufacturing? Perhaps: 1-Japan, 2-Singapore 3-Indonesia 4-China 5-??? Is this about right?

For reliability, How would your rank the top 5 DVD Brands from 1-5. Five (5) being the best (memorex, sony, verbatim, tdk, dynex)?

I think we all could use this information. No sense making a backup if you can not view the movies without gliches? right?

Thanks for your input.
                      Last edited by rr76012; 10-26-2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post

India --- ritek R05 001
                        Taiwan-- ritek R05 01
                        Taiwan-- ritek F16 01

Taiwan ritek F16 001

The ritek R05 were junk.
                        I am using MCC 004 as well. I think I bought them last year on sale at Best Buy. I bought 100 for $20 I am pretty sure.

I would buy your media from Newegg for to be sure which media you will be getting. The recent reviews will give you a good idea of what you will get. Either MIT, MII, or MIS.

DVD+R DL

I got these not too long ago for $20 with FS after a $6 rebate, making them $1 a disc. I don't think you can beat that and I even got the MIS discs.

If you need DVD+R grab these.

Comment

U.S. mail order suppliers are of no use to me. It is illegal to bring blank DVDs or CDs into Mexico unless you have an importers licenses and pay 18% duty on them plus the shipping. The shipping plus duty tax means I pay more than double for DVDs than you do.
                          When I can find a decent price I buy 500 to 750 at a time.
                          I do have some friends that put a stack or two in their luggage when they come to visit.
                          Originally posted by rekd0514 View Post
                          I am using MCC 004 as well. I think I bought them last year on sale at Best Buy. I bought 100 for $20 I am pretty sure.

I would buy your media from Newegg for to be sure which media you will be getting. The recent reviews will give you a good idea of what you will get. Either MIT, MII, or MIS.

DVD+R DL

I got these not too long ago for $20 with FS after a $6 rebate, making them $1 a disc. I don't think you can beat that and I even got the MIS discs.

If you need DVD+R grab these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817507003

Comment

Well that sucks for you man. Have your friends buy them up in the US and send them to you. Would that make the shipping cheaper? The going price for DVD+R is approximately $.2-$.25 cents a disc and DVD+R DL is $1-$1.25 a disc. That is the price I would buy them for anyways. I only buy Verbatim media.

I don't use very much media anyways myself. I don't have a lot of use for it except backups for movies and the occasional software, etc. I put on them. Hard drives have become so cheap now that they are the better alternative a lot of times anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by rekd0514 View Post
                              Hard drives have become so cheap now that they are the better alternative a lot of times anyways.
                              What if you want to play a movie in the car ... plane, I myself need at least a 10" screen (portable player) to watch a good movie. I trust good quality DVD's over HD failure

CLICK HERE

Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Lacquer 8X 4.7GB DVD-R Media (Value Line) 100 Pack in Tape Wrap
                              AX

The default Log File location: C:\Documents and Settings\"User Acct"\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Comment

Working...
                              X