Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Sony or HP brands of DVD-R media .. Seem to work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 85rx7 View Post
      I like Sony or HP brands of DVD-R media .. Seem to work fine.
      That is exactly what I use, Sony DVD-R, never have a problem.

Well not now, wasted quite a few just prior to my old computer destroying itself, but not now.

Comment

Sony DVD+R's here for the past 6 months with only 1 or 2 coasters due to a bad Burner. Been pretty happy with Sony so far, and the price is reasonable.
        Into abyss
        You don't exist
        Cannot resist
        The Judas kiss
        Judas lives recite this vow
        I've become your new god now

Comment

I agree with GregiBoy, I only use TDK Blu-ray Disc 25gb 4X BD-R and 50gb 4X BD-R White Inkjet Printable Japan Imported media and Verbatim 16X SL and 2.4-6X DL White Inkjet Printable DVD+R's and never had any problems.

Notice that I only use DVD+R's never DVD-R's. Neither my Sony DVD Player or Blu-ray Player like -R's.

Eric
          Last edited by Eric545; 10-30-2009, 11:03 PM.
          Mitsubishi WD-73" 1080p DLP HD TV
          Sony STRDG920 7.1-Channel AV Receiver
          Sony BDP-S560 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player
          2 DIRECTV HD DVR Receivers
          2 Kenwood 777 Six-Way Five-Speaker Speakers
          Sony SAW2500 Sub-Woofer
          Bose VSC-10 Center Speaker
          2 Bose 161 Speakers

Comment

are memorex disks bad?

No...they are all as good as one another. I buy the ones on sale, but always get the DVD+R. I guess I can't figure how to use the -R type. Many friends have given them to me and no matter the brand, I can't get them to work. Ya I am lazy and can't find out why anywhere I look.

Comment

DISCInfo

Originally posted by sistersilver View Post
              ... always get the DVD+R. I guess I can't figure how to use the -R type. Many friends have given them to me and no matter the brand, I can't get them to work. Ya I am lazy and can't find out why anywhere I look.
              Use DISCInfo, which can be found at:

Run the program, type Control+C, and that will tell you exactly what media your drive is capable of reading and writing.

Comment

No...they are all as good as one another. I buy the ones on sale, but always get the DVD+R. I guess I can't figure how to use the -R type. Many friends have given them to me and no matter the brand, I can't get them to work. Ya I am lazy and can't find out why anywhere I look.
                No wonder I am confused.

I now only use the DVD-R with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by tli View Post

Run the program, type Control+C, and that will tell you exactly what media your drive is capable of reading and writing.
                  Great advice from tli.

No...they are all as good as one another.
                  Sorry, I just couldn't let this one go.
                  It's just wholly inaccurate.

When discussing blank media, brands usually give little to no useful info.
                  Much better to refer to MID (media code).

Re: blank media quality, here's a decent site for starters:

...just scroll down a bit and have a look.

Here's great (and free) utility...nero cd-dvd speed to display your MID (there are others too), a lot of other info as well as run benchmarks, etc.

Nero no longer provides this utility as freeware, but it's still around.
                  The download site I linked above, videohelp is a great site, has gobs of info and is reputable.

I'd post a screenshot of nero, but I just did a new install of Win 7 and I'm pretty skinny on apps right now.

//Edit
                  I think we already covered -R and +R...either should work fine for most modern hardware...burners and standalone, but still not a 100%
                  Bitsetting +R media is still the best bet for the closet thing to the most universally compatible burned media around
                  Last edited by maineman; 11-01-2009, 03:46 AM.
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by tli View Post

I just tried it out of interest, will not work on my computer?

Comment

Originally posted by davidh View Post
                      No wonder I am confused.

I now only use the DVD-R with no problems.
                      So why fool with success?
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Originally posted by maineman View Post
                        So why fool with success?
                        If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                        Yes, I agree 100%.

And that is what I have decided.

But then someone posts here that they only use the DVD+R, AND that the DVD-R never works for them.

I just tried that ''discinfo'' link again, was interested to see what it says about my drive, but it did NOT work again, had to shut my computer down because of it?

Comment

Working...
                        X