Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD Media - which format/brand do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Media - which format/brand do you use?

just wondering? I am using verbatim dvd-r to back up movies. I am running out and need to purchase more. I see alot of dvd+r's are cheaper. does it matter if i get dvd-r or dvd+r?

Originally posted by dc1225 View Post
    just wondering? I am using verbatim dvd-r to back up movies. I am running out and need to purchase more. I see alot of dvd+r's are cheaper. does it matter if i get dvd-r or dvd+r?
    Not as long as your player supports playing DVD+R and maybe a few changes in Fab and or ImgBurn.
    CBR929
    Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by dc1225 View Post

CBR929's comments are good, but don't go far enough...

For SL blanks, there's not much to choose from between -R and +R formats... for DL blanks, -R's are useless.

What you should be careful of is the BRAND you buy.

Many major brands, such as Memorex and Phillips, don't make their own discs... that's farmed out to companies like Ritek and CMC Magnetics, and the quality of of these is questionable, at best.

You sound like you're doing some price shopping, and for the headaches and coasters it'll result in, if you go with a 'discount' brand, you're better off sticking with what is working for you.

Better you stick with the Verbatims, or, if you don't mind shopping the web, buy Taiyo Yudens online at competitive prices.

FYI

DC

Comment

What about TDK DL Disks?

Any pro or con to using TDKs would be appreciated. They were recently priced at $30 for 50 disks at Amazon. Will I have many coasters?

Comment

Originally posted by Whale2 View Post
          Any pro or con to using TDKs would be appreciated. They were recently priced at $30 for 50 disks at Amazon. Will I have many coasters?
          Probably more than half will be coasters. If wanting DL media get and only get Verbatim that made in Singapore. For SL media get either Verbatim or the best which is Taiyo Yuden.

newegg has Verbatim 4.7GB 16X DVD+R 100 Packs Spindle Disc on sale for $18.99 and here link for you http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...17507003-L013D

Comment

Originally posted by DarthCopier View Post
            CBR929's comments are good, but don't go far enough...
            For SL blanks, there's not much to choose from between -R and +R formats... for DL blanks, -R's are useless.

What you should be careful of is the BRAND you buy.

Many major brands, such as Memorex and Phillips, don't make their own discs... that's farmed out to companies like Ritek and CMC Magnetics, and the quality of of these is questionable, at best.

You sound like you're doing some price shopping, and for the headaches and coasters it'll result in, if you go with a 'discount' brand, you're better off sticking with what is working for you.

Better you stick with the Verbatims, or, if you don't mind shopping the web, buy Taiyo Yudens online at competitive prices.

FYI

DC

Sorry DC, you are correct. I assumed that since dc1225 was currently using Verbatim that he was looking to buy +R Verbatims should have gone into more details.
            CBR929
            Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
            X