Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Region Has Gone? O.o

Hello everyone.

A few months ago I bought a region 1 DVD because the film I wanted was not available in my region. It wouldn't play in my dvd player so I used DVDFAB to make a backup of the film so I could burn it to a dvd and watch it. This went by with no problems whatsoever.

However a few days ago I was running on auto-pilot and put the original dvd into my player. The dvd that once would not play now seems to be region free. What could have caused that? I have not altered my dvd players hardware or used the original dvd in any other software.

Is it a bug? Sorry if it's something obvious, I'm kind of a newb with this kind of stuff.

DVDFab can not change an original DVD movie, neither can anything else. I would say you have a region free DVD player and the first attempt was just a one off glitch.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

It really isn't. Legend of the Dragon Kings is region 1 and won't play on it. This is why I'm so confused. o.o

Comment

Put the original in Fab and check the region. If the region code changed on an original commercially released DVD movie something is really wrong!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Okay I'll put it in and have a look.

Comment

It's now saying this on the dvd:

Info for drive [E:\] (DVDFab 6.0.2.2)
            Drive region: 2

Disc type: Video DVD
            Disc region: 1, 2, 3, 4
            Volume name: RAINBOW_BRITE_STAR_STEALER
            Video standard: NTSC

This dvd wold not play before. I tried it when I first got it.

And on Amazon the same dvd I bought is listed there as being region 1 only.

The back of the box also says region 1.

Comment

I'm assuming you are in the UK since the link you sent. Based on that assumption your player must play NTSC format or you would have a real mess on the screen.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Could that be what's causing it? When I said I was a total newb I wasn't joking lol.

Oh wait, Dragon Kings is NTSC too, so I guess it can't be.

Comment

Yes, I'm told most of the PAL players (like in the UK) will play either format. Fab will remove the region code but won't change the format so if your backup plays you are safe in assuming your player will play either.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Hmm, well I'm still confused but thanks for teaching me some things.

Guess it doesn't really matter what the region is, it's more conveniant than ever. And nothing has changed in any other DVDs I tried.

So I guess it was either a weird fluke causing it not to play the first time, or a weird fluke that has somehow changed the dvd.

It will always be a mystery to me, lol.

Comment

I’m sorry if I confused you. The region code is important, if that DVD were locked to region 1 and your player could not play an NTSC format DVD you’d be out of luck. But since your player will play NTSC and the disk had region 2 available it should play. The point I was trying to make is your backup of this movie is region free but the video format is still NTSC, if your player were region locked to 2 and only played PAL format DVDs you would still out of luck playing the movie even though it is region free.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Don't be sorry, it wasn't you who confused me, it's just the sort of person I am. xD

Comment

Working...
                        X