Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to xbox360 on windows 7 and Media center

Hi all,

I am new to the forums but I have been using dvdfab for a while now backing up movies that I own to dvd discs. Now that I am using windows 7 and have a xbox360 I have begun to back up my dvd's to a HDD so I can use media center and stream them to my xbox360. I have run into some problems with this however. Several of the movies that I have copied with dvdfab play pretty good on my xbox360 but then will lock up and skip several chapters ahead. I have rerecorded the dvd's several times. The steps I take are dvd to dvd. I then use dvd shrink to change the separate VOB files into one full VOB file. I then rename this VOB file to a .MPG file. When I play this however it locks up in the same place everytime.

Anyone have any ideas? I have tried the DVD to ripper for xbox360. it saved it as a WMV file but that wouldn't even play on my xbox360. Any reason for this?

Ideally I want to keep the compression minimal and I am not worried about the size of the file.

Oh and I am backing up only the main movie. No extras.

Well for starters use just DVDFab as we can only trouble shoot problems that arise when the only program being used is DVDFab. The WMV file you created was it from the XBox 360 profile as I have no issues playing them on my XBox 360.

Also if you just want one large VOB you can use the DVD Ripper VOB as that creates one large VOB

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

I did try it using only dvdfab, when I play it directly on my pc I have no problems with the files. However when I play them on my xbox360 they always freeze and skip in the same place.

I will give dvd ripper to vob a try, and update as soon as I can. Thank you.

Comment

so how are you playing the WMV file on the Xbox? you stream from computer or do you transfer to the Xbox hard drive?

Comment

I am streaming the video to my xbox360 from my windows 7 64 bit quad core machine.

I made a backup of avatar last night using the DVD ripper to VOB I had the settings on the VOB passthrough and I got what appears to be a solid VOB file. Again when I was watching it, it froze in the exact same spot again and skipped ahead to the exact same spot again.

No matter what format I save the file to from DVDfab I get the same freeze spot and the same problem.

I really can't figure out what is causing the lock up. The fact it occurs in the same spot every time on the 360 but can be played without problem on my pc making it hard to find.

Comment

So you are watching using Media Center on Xbox 360? Is it a wireless connection for XBox 360? If wireless change to wired connection to see if same problem as I do not have problem with a wired connection and do not have the wireless adaptor for the XBox so not able to try that

I have Airbender on Blu-ray+DVD Combo pack and will give the DVD a try for the VOb Passthrough and XBox 360 profile to see if same problem but will not be till late tonight or tomorrow for my results as my computer will take some time for the conversions
            Last edited by AGJ; 11-12-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Yes I am watching from media center on the new slim xbox360. I have tried both wired and wireless to see if it was a signal issue. I still had the same results. Every freeze is at the exact same frame. It is really a strange issue.

Comment

Ok so a quick update, The freezes are happening in Media Center on my PC as well.

I played the files using a nero player and did not lock up at all.

Comment

Hi Dedmon
                  Try using MPC which you will find here http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ or VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ to play these files
                  CBR929
                  Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

have you tried opening the files directly using the XBox 360 as you not need to use Media Center to do that. Sorry not remember what that option is called but I'm sure you can find it located on the XBox main screen as it in same section where you can choose Media Center

Comment

I have tried to open them from my xbox360 using the Video Library rather than Media Center. However I see the folders for the movies but not the actual movie.

They are all in MPG or VOB format and they do not show.

Comment

Check to see if you have a firmware update for the Xbox 360 available

Comment

Well I am connected to xbox live everyday and they just updated it about a week ago. New dashboard and everything. Not sure if that is what you mean. The firmware I am sure would update like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedmon View Post
                            Well I am connected to xbox live everyday and they just updated it about a week ago. New dashboard and everything. Not sure if that is what you mean. The firmware I am sure would update like that.
                            Yes that what I meant

Comment

Is that about when they stopped working?
                              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                              X