DVDFab creates an ISO file that's too large for BD-RE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVDFab creates an ISO file that's too large for BD-RE

I’m using Blu-Ray copy to make a copy of Toy Story 3, main movie. I set the output to an ISO file, and the size to BD-25. The process works and I get a 22.8 GB ISO file. I then “Write Data” to burn the ISO file to my LG Blu-Ray drive and use a BD-RE disk. The process starts, but gets an error at 98.72% stating: “Failed to burn DVD. Do you want to burn again?”

I think the file was too big to fit on my BD-RE disk, as Windows 7 reports the size of my disc as 22.5 GB, but the ISO file is 22.8 GB. So, why did DVDFab Blu-Ray Copy create a file that’s too big for my BD-RE disc when I correctly set the size to BD-25??? As you can imagine, it’s very frustrating to get an error at 98.72% after over one hour of burning!!!!! How can I correctly burn this ISO file to my BD-RE disc???

I've attached the log file, and you can see the error that it's trying to write to a LBA that's out of range.dvdfab_burn_vso.log
    Last edited by TitanFan; 12-30-2010, 08:11 AM.

Try this please

Hi, Dear TitanFan,

Please open Common Settings>DVD/Blu-ray>Write, set "Blu-ray Copy" target size to 23000 for BD-25 to burn again to see the result.

Sincerely Yours
    Malcolm Wang

Comment

The problem here is that your BD-RE isn't formatted to its maximum capacity.

So you have 2 choices...

1. Format it to its maximum capacity. (12219392 sectors Vs 11826176 sectors)
      2. Do what malcolm said

Comment

I'm thinking what Turkelton said. I have a couple a BD-REs and have had a few movies come out to 22.9GB lately and they have burned to BD-R and BD-RE no problem. I do remember when I first started using BD-RE I had some trouble getting it to format to it's full capacity. It was coming out with a capacity of like 22.6 to 22.7GB. I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it. I'm thinking I used Nero or ImgBurn to format it properly. I'm leaning towards ImgBurn but I think that a certain setting had to be checked to get full capacity. I believe the maximum amount that can be held on a BD-R disc is 23.1 GB and I think DVDFab produces them a little smaller to preserve data on the edge of the disc.

Comment

Originally posted by Turkleton View Post
          The problem here is that your BD-RE isn't formatted to its maximum capacity.

So you have 2 choices...

1. Format it to its maximum capacity. (12219392 sectors Vs 11826176 sectors)
          2. Do what malcolm said
          I see. I just reformatted my BD-RE using ImgBurn, and set "Format without spare areas". ImgBurn reports the following information about my disc:

HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH08LS20 2.00 (ATAPI)
          Current Profile: BD-RE

Disc Information:
          State of Last Session: Complete
          Erasable: Yes
          Sessions: 1
          Sectors: 12,219,392
          Size: 25,025,314,816 bytes
          Time: 2715:27:17 (MM:SS:FF)
          Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x

TOC Information:
          Session 1... (LBA: 0)
          -> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 12219391)
          -> LeadOut (LBA: 12219392)

But, Windows still shows a size of 22.5 GB (24,220,008,448 bytes) for the disc. This won't fit my ISO file, as it's 24,534,122,496 bytes.

Am I missing something here? How can I format my disc to maximum size so this ISO file will fit?

Comment

Ignore what Windows says.

If ImgBurn says you've now got 25,025,314,816 bytes to play with and your image is only 24,534,122,496 bytes, you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Turkleton View Post
              Ignore what Windows says.

If ImgBurn says you've now got 25,025,314,816 bytes to play with and your image is only 24,534,122,496 bytes, you're good to go.
              Right. So I tried to use DVDFab to write the ISO file to my BD-RE again after formatting with ImgBurn, and DVDFab came up with the following prompt:
              "(Re)Writable media inserted in drive E: already contains data. Do you want to overwrite it?"

If I answer YES, DVDFab appears to do a quick format and starts writing the ISO file to disc, but it then fails at the exact same point and with the same error message as before. If I answer NO, then DVDFab ejects my disc and tells me to “swap the current media in drive E: with a compatible media to start the write process.”

Not sure why DVDFab thinks my disc has data on it, since it was just formatted by ImgBurn. When I tell DVDFab to erase my data, it appears to revert back to the old disc format that wasn’t large enough to hold my ISO file.

This isn’t working!!!! Any ideas on what to do to get this to work?

Comment

Hi, TitanFan

Please try to backup your BD movie on HDD, and use imgburn to burn this new ISO on blank disc.

Thanks.

Comment

Make sure the bottom of the disc is clean.
                  Open ImgBurn. 1.Go to the menus at the top. Choose Mode ->Discovery. 2.To start with leave All Sectors selected. Only try Custom with 12,219,392 sectors if All Sectors does not work first. 3. Then make sure appropriate drive is selected in drop down menu labeled Destination. Uncheck verify if you do not want to wait for the program to verify disc content after format. 4. Go to menus at top and select Tools->Drive->ReZero. 5. Click Write icon in lower left corner. After it begins to write it should say Sectors: 12,219,392 and Size: 25,025,314,816 bytes in the upper left corner under Discovery. Then Repeat with Custom Sectors selected at step 2 and at step 4 select Tools->Drive-> Erase Disc->Full.

If this doesn't work try another BD-RE if you can
                  Last edited by DharmaBummed69; 12-31-2010, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by katiekim View Post
                    Hi, TitanFan

Please try to backup your BD movie on HDD, and use imgburn to burn this new ISO on blank disc.

Thanks.
                    Yes, burning the iso file with ImgBurn worked without issue. Not sure why writing the iso file to my BD-RE with DVDFab caused that prompt to occur and ultimately lead to failure???? If I change the Burning Engine from VSO to ImgBurn, do you think it will burn correctly using DVDFab? Maybe I'll try that on my next disc - a bonus using ImgBurn is that it is quite a bit quicker than using the VSO Engine through DVDFab.

Thanks to everyone for your help in working through this puzzling problem. Almost seems like this is a bug, but maybe not....

Comment

It's just the VSO burn engine, it's sort of buggy. If they could bundle Imgburn with DVDFab they would, it's just that Imgburn is free and if they bundled it with DVDFab, it would be like people were paying for it, which is a no-no, so they just give people the option to and recommend using Imgburn over VSO.
                      SPECS
                      DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
                      SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Working...
                      X