Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best hd media player (wd, seagate theater etc) to play 3d blu-ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best hd media player (wd, seagate theater etc) to play 3d blu-ray?

If I wanted to run a bunch of my 3d movies from my hdd, I could dump them all on as .iso mount and run, would a seagate freeagent theater + or WD TV live plus device be able to get these playing on my samsung dlp tv in 3d mode? Any thoughts?

thanks,,

Only if they support 3D Playback which I doubt that they do
    Last edited by AGJ; 01-02-2011, 06:29 AM.

Comment

They don't at this point in time and very few media players support playing BD ISO's with menus.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I installed powerdvd on my netbook last night and the dvdfab virtual drive and was trying to run blu-ray's and blu-ray 3d's accross my network with ZERO luck.. powerdvd just kept freezing up. Not sure if it was due to network speed (wireless G) or if it was something else. My asus netbook has a nvidia video solution w/ HDMI out so it was easy to setup.. netflix and streaming works great. It would be nice to be able to play a blue ray on my bedroom lcd from time to time as well as keep a few of my movies I watch more often in .iso form on my main PC's hdd to just load up in the virtual drive on my netbook to play at will... w/o hassles of finding loading etc (ya I'm lazy)

Comment

Ok, for one, netbooks tend to be not the greatest performance-wise. The graphics card in there probably isn't very spectacular, but if you could give us the specs of it that would help. Also, wireless-g is definitely not enough speed for streaming BDs let alone BD 3Ds. I would suggest having a wired gigabit network, which will work great, and you won't have to deal with wireless issues.
          SPECS
          DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
          SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Originally posted by Racem22 View Post
            Ok, for one, netbooks tend to be not the greatest performance-wise. The graphics card in there probably isn't very spectacular, but if you could give us the specs of it that would help. Also, wireless-g is definitely not enough speed for streaming BDs let alone BD 3Ds. I would suggest having a wired gigabit network, which will work great, and you won't have to deal with wireless issues.
            I just plugged in my 1tb external drive w/ a bunch of the iso's on it and it wouldn't work with windvd 10 (unsuported for mounted isos), I'll swap back to powerdvd and see if it likes the usb 2.0 better.

The netbnook has intel atom N550 dual core 1.5ghz cpu, and the 'next generation' nvidia ion HD video and 2gb of ram.. should be plenty for blu-ray unless there is a chipset issue.

Comment

Well, I gotta say that "Next Generation" NVIDIA ION isn't going to be that fancy. It's not going to be nearly as good as a decent video card you would get for a desktop, but I'm just speculating here. I really don't know the specs of it, but am just going by what I normally see for laptops/netbooks. Also, usb 2.0 isn't all that impressive either. I'm not sure if you will have trouble streaming with that or not. I'm sure it will handle DVDs fine, but BDs might be a different story. Someone else will have to fill in the blanks there as all my BDs are on my server hooked up to my HDTV.
              SPECS
              DESKTOP: Asus M4A79XTD EVO/AMD Phenom II x4 945/4GB GSKILL DDR3-1600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SC/BFG Tech 600Watt/NZXT M59/LG BD-RE GGW-H20L/Lite-On iHAS124 Y/WD Velociraptor 150GB/Seagate 1.5TB/WD Caviar Green 2TB/Acer H213H 1080p
              SERVER: MSI K9ND Speedster WA-6/2x AMD Opteron 2218s/8GB Kingston DDR2-667/NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700/Zalman 600Watt/Alienware Workstation/Lite-On iHAS120/Seagate 500GB/WD Caviar Black 750GB/Swiftech H20-220 w/ 2x CPU blocks & VGA block

Comment

Originally posted by Racem22 View Post
                Well, I gotta say that "Next Generation" NVIDIA ION isn't going to be that fancy. It's not going to be nearly as good as a decent video card you would get for a desktop, but I'm just speculating here. I really don't know the specs of it, but am just going by what I normally see for laptops/netbooks. Also, usb 2.0 isn't all that impressive either. I'm not sure if you will have trouble streaming with that or not. I'm sure it will handle DVDs fine, but BDs might be a different story. Someone else will have to fill in the blanks there as all my BDs are on my server hooked up to my HDTV.
                Ur right it's a netbook, it's not fancy or super high end.. compared to desktops, but it even passes the blu-ray 3d test from powerdvd so I have to assume it's capable of proper blu-ray 3d playback. Obviously it only fully passes when using hdmi only and connected to my samsung 3d dlp. Anyway I'll play with again later tonight and see if I can't get it working correctly.

Comment

Working...
                X