A/V Codec Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/V Codec Recommendation

I've noticed several people having issues with audio syncing, and saw the solution was to set the A/V Decoder/Encoder to software. My DVDFab configuration defaults to DXVA for H.264 and VC1 Video Decoding and Software for H.264 Video Encoding. Should I set my Video Decoding options to software to be safe? Why isn't software the default if it always seems to work? Am I giving up anything by setting to software decoding?

Thank-you.

P.S. I have a fairly new graphics card (ATI 5750), with updated drivers.

Please set to Software for everything.
    人生は贈り物であり、完全な喜びを経験する必要があります
    Life is a gift and should be experienced in full joy

Comment

Originally posted by Blazkowicz View Post
      Please set to Software for everything.
      Thank-you, but that doesn't answer the trade-off for using software codec. There must be a reason that DXVA is the default - because it offers something of value over software. I'm asking that the value be quantified so I can understand the choice I'm making.

Note: I haven't run into any issue using DXVA - so far. I admit my Q/A isn't very good, so my thought was to use software to be safe and avoid burning a coaster.

Thank-you.

Comment

DXVA is supposed to speed up the process by offloading some of the task to the GPU but seems to be a major source of problems, eg audio sync.

As Blaz suggested, the safest route is to turn it off.

Originally posted by TitanFan View Post
        Thank-you, but that doesn't answer the trade-off for using software codec. There must be a reason that DXVA is the default - because it offers something of value over software. I'm asking that the value be quantified so I can understand the choice I'm making.

Note: I haven't run into any issue using DXVA - so far. I admit my Q/A isn't very good, so my thought was to use software to be safe and avoid burning a coaster.

Thank-you.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Okay, thanks. Might I suggest that software become the default in future releases.

Comment

Originally posted by TitanFan View Post
            Okay, thanks. Might I suggest that software become the default in future releases.
            Sounds like a good idea and if you want you can make a Feature Request for that

Comment

Working...
            X