12 hours compression time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 hours compression time?

Just started backing up blu-rays and new to the forum. When backing up a blu-ray that requires compression, I am shocked at the time it is taking. I'm trying to backup Public Enemies. I chose main movie and found that it needs about 25% compression.(25gb disc) Total time is gonna take 12+ hours! Like I said, I'm new to this. Can someone please explain this to me? Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Many thanks.

nothing wrong with that time.

Faster time will need better CPU and as well a Cuda enabled graphics card that supported by DVDFab.

What you can do is save the Blu-ray to computer first with no compression. Then when that done you find that folder and use as source to compress. The time will be faster if done that way but if you want faster time you may need to get faster computer as Blu-ray not the same as DVD since Blu-ray has 8 times more data on it

Comment

Under Settings > DVD/Blu-ray Ripper > Convert, make sure you check the box next to "Enable "Turbo CPU" for maximum cpu usage". And set "Memory amount used for converting" to "Auto".

But just to give you a gauge, it takes around 4 hours to compress blu-ray movies on my Intel 2.40GHz i3 dual-core processor.

Comment

Thank you so much for the replies.

Comment

Please post your hardware configuration at first.

You may need a new PC, or at least a new CUDA card
          DVDFab is the all-in-one software package for copying Blu-ray/DVD and converting video file.
          http://www.dvdfab.cn

Comment

Originally posted by fengtao View Post
            Please post your hardware configuration at first.

You may need a new PC, or at least a new CUDA card
            No doubt I need a faster computer. I'm using my son's old E-Machine with integrated graphics. I believe I understand the issue.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
              nothing wrong with that time.

Faster time will need better CPU and as well a Cuda enabled graphics card that supported by DVDFab.

What you can do is save the Blu-ray to computer first with no compression. Then when that done you find that folder and use as source to compress. The time will be faster if done that way but if you want faster time you may need to get faster computer as Blu-ray not the same as DVD since Blu-ray has 8 times more data on it
              I am really new to blu ray. Once you rip to the hard drive and compress that folder, you have 2 files in it. One is a certificate. For my back up on a 25 gig disc, do I burn the entire folder with both files or just the BDMV file?

Comment

I personally just select the title e.g. "Avatar" using Image Burn if i am burning to a 25gb disk as follows.
                Usually rip entire disk to hard drive using DVDFab or other well known program featuring an animal, rip main movie to file called 25Gb version in the same directory as rip of full disk, then burn to actual 25Gb disk using 25Gb main movie rip e.g. "Avatar" with image burn. As you say the other two directories are listed under the movie title, that works 100% for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobby View Post
                  I am really new to blu ray. Once you rip to the hard drive and compress that folder, you have 2 files in it. One is a certificate. For my back up on a 25 gig disc, do I burn the entire folder with both files or just the BDMV file?
                  Yes, the entire folder...
                  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Need for Speed !!

It took me 84 minutes to compress Inception (75%) from optical disk to HDD, but I have an i7-875K overclocked to 3.7GHz. On my core2 quad Q9450 (overclocked to 3.2GHz), all 4 cores are running at 100%. On my i7-875K (4 cores x 2 threads = "8" cores), not all 8 threads are 100%. It looks like it is running 4 threads on 4 cores (with the system swapping them around a bit so that I have about 50% average on "8" cores each).

Now my question is what do the options under A/V Codec do? On the Decoder, there is a choice of Software, DXVA, CUDA, CoreAVC for the H.264 (and all but CoreAVC for VC1 and MPEG2). For the Encoder, there is just Software and Software+CUDA. What's best? Under Codec info it shows (for me) supported codecs DXVA_MODE_H264 and DXVA_MODE_VC1 (CoreAVC not detected). How does the speed of H/W codec compare to S/W codec?

I had problems with an audio lag on "Inception" and someone suggested changing the de/encoder to Software (which someone claimed worked for them). Just noticed a related thread:
                    Last edited by Wayne_P; 01-13-2011, 01:59 AM.

Comment

S/W codec

Just did LOTR-Fellowship with S/W codec (no H/W).

38 GB -> 22 GB took me 76 min (from HDD to HDD) at 62% ratio.

It seems the S/W codec (log said "vc1 multi-thread") is just as quick as the H/W on my machine (i7-875K at 3.7GHz x 4 cores). All 8 threads were 97% to 100% utilized during the compression. Sign of a good multi-threaded program!

With the H/W codec, not all threads were 100%.

Comment

Working...
                      X