No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

I'm new to all this and thought i would try and back up some of my BD's so they don't get ruined but kids etc..

I recently built a new PC and im amazed how well the Avatar BD copied.

My father in-law tried on his pc and the total time from rip to burn was 18Hrs.

I did the rip - convert to 25gb - burn in 3hrs 15mins on my new pc !!!

Is this a good time scale for the Avatar BD ??

Also any tips please let me know them.

Cheers

paul

Hi all,

Built a new pc and managed to get Avatar to copy in 3hr10mins.

Not bad going really !!!!

Paul
    Last edited by maineman; 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM. Reason: Threads merged

Welcome,

I took the liberty of combining your posts.

No idea of your hardware and the actual process you used, but it sounds reasonable considering you decrypted and compressed a BD flick and burned a bkup.

There are tons of threads with various tips.
    One such....Do not compress on the initial rip from the BD disc.
    This will create a bottleneck of data transfer (slow things down) and cause unnecessary wear and tear on your BD drive.

Compress only after ripping the uncompressed files to your hdd.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Congratulations, dude! I'm in the same boat! Avatar was one of the first Wow-movies I copied and compressed onto a single layer DVD on my newly built system (actual parts of PC in my signature) and I was absolutely stunned at the quality. Keep in mind, however, that this isn't the norm. Some movies don't particularly compress well. I had Sin City at 96% and it looked disgusting. I cut out the credits until it was uncompressed and made a perfect looking backup. That timeframe is great, by the way!

Comment

Hi

I have now set to slow anylis and slow/high quality encoding and i am still getting Avatar done in 3hrs 20mins.

Not bad really, im guessing CUDA Gfx card is helping out a lot and the Amd phenom 965 black edition

I have backed up 5 BD's today so far, not bad going really.

Paul

Comment

i can do it in about 2hrs with an amd phenom 970 processor,12gb ram,and nvidia gtx460 1gb gcard. 3 hrs is still excellent time though.

Comment

2-3hrs here as well and I haven't updated my card yet(see sig)
            I cut the time in half coming from my last build which was a few yrs old(AMD X2)
            AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 @ 3.3ghz stock cooling
            ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 Sata 6gb/s ATI HD4290
            G.Skill RipJaws 8gb(2x4) DDR3 PC10666
            Antec 750W Continuous Power
            Pioneer BDR205
            64gb OCZ SSD AGILITY 2
            WD 640gb HDD Internal
            WD 2TB HDD External
            CoolerMaster 690series
            ViewSonic 22" LED 1080p Full HD
            Windows7 64 Ultimate

Comment

Blimey,

If you can do the whole process in 2hrs you must have a BD drive that is not for sale yet, as i have the latest LG drive and it takes 45mins to rip the disk to HDD and 40mins to burn 25GB leaving 1hr30mins too convert the bd to 25gb.

this means you shrink Avatar from 43gb to 25gb in 40mins ??? is this possible ?? even with setting all on high quality ?

Paul

Originally posted by BMXHERO View Post
              i can do it in about 2hrs with an amd phenom 970 processor,12gb ram,and nvidia gtx460 1gb gcard. 3 hrs is still excellent time though.

Comment

I have an hp bluray writer.Only takes me 25-30min to save to hard drive.then about an hour and a half through fab and then 45min to burn through imgburn.so about 3 hrs total.Your processor and your card is where your speeds at. I think the amd phenom IIx4 970 3.5ghz rocks. Previously had a amd 570 and it would take about 5-6 hrs to do the same task.But im new to this too. Just learn as i go.

Comment

Yes,

Im good for around 2 - 3 hours depending on the movie.

All good really.

Paul

Comment

I looked at the performance tab in Task Manager during various phases of copying. When copying from disc to hdd, there is very little cpu usage, but when it is time to compress, it is all about the cpu and it would run from 95 to 99% used. Burning again was a low cpu usage process. So, I surf, play games, pretty much do what I want while copying or burning, but I don't do anything during compression. So don't be playing or doing anything during compression, unless you have lots of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X