Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Potter (2,3,4,5) Blurays pixelate and freeze

Hello,

I have seen multiple threads about the Harry Potter Blurays however the one's I have looked at are all closed so I post this new thread now.

I too am seeing pixelation and picture freezes in the Harry Potter Bluray copies. I have noticed that it is not restricted to using compression as I just did HP4 & HP5, both of which were only about 19-20 gb which DVDFab recognised as not needing compression for the main movie only option to a 25gb blank.

I did not have problems with HP1, but have had the problem with HP2, HP3, HP4 & HP5. It always seems to pixelate/freeze at around the 54-55 minute mark. The time was so close on the movies I began to think my player was having problems but alas it is only these HP movies that are the issue.

I don't think I need to give details of discs, players etc since it seems it is a common problem relating to the ripping of the movie and not media, physical hardware, o/s etc. FYI, I have successfully copied about 40 Blurays, so it is not the media etc I am using.

The DVDFab Bluray Copy I have was updated approx 1 month ago and I notice the previous posts of problems were before the version I have, which means the problem wasn't fixed after the initial reports.

Has anyone installed the latest DVDFab (if there is a new one in the last month, I'm not at the pc with DVDFab so can't confirm) and successfully copied HP movies onto 25gb Blurays ? Have the developers made any changes to fix these issues reported by many different people ?

Originally posted by Colin View Post
    Hello,

I have seen multiple threads about the Harry Potter Blurays however the one's I have looked at are all closed so I post this new thread now.

I too am seeing pixelation and picture freezes in the Harry Potter Bluray copies. I have noticed that it is not restricted to using compression as I just did HP4 & HP5, both of which were only about 19-20 gb which DVDFab recognised as not needing compression for the main movie only option to a 25gb blank.

I did not have problems with HP1, but have had the problem with HP2, HP3, HP4 & HP5. It always seems to pixelate/freeze at around the 54-55 minute mark. The time was so close on the movies I began to think my player was having problems but alas it is only these HP movies that are the issue.

I don't think I need to give details of discs, players etc since it seems it is a common problem relating to the ripping of the movie and not media, physical hardware, o/s etc. FYI, I have successfully copied about 40 Blurays, so it is not the media etc I am using.

The DVDFab Bluray Copy I have was updated approx 1 month ago and I notice the previous posts of problems were before the version I have, which means the problem wasn't fixed after the initial reports.

Has anyone installed the latest DVDFab (if there is a new one in the last month, I'm not at the pc with DVDFab so can't confirm) and successfully copied HP movies onto 25gb Blurays ? Have the developers made any changes to fix these issues reported by many different people ?
    Can you please post your logs!! And also what settings are you using for codecs? You cannot rule out your media if its the only brand you use! If you took 2 disc's from different manufactures and had the same problem then yes media is not the issue!
    Last edited by DiabloZoe; 03-15-2011, 12:37 AM.
    For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

From my post you'd be aware the same problem has been reported by multiple people (sep 2010 is one thread I read) and there's nothing to suggest the problem lies with anything but the software doing the ripping, as the burning software (ImgBurn) doesn't even come into it because the problem exists in the rip on the PC. It was suggested it only happens when trying to compress onto a 25gb disc, however I am reporting that is not the case as the last 2 HP movies I tried fit on a disc with no compression.

The reason I didn't see the necessity to post the logs in the 1st place, is that most of the time, looking at the log, you'd be searching for an obvious problem like write speed, or the blank disc size or drive being used etc, none of those factors would be an issue in this case. If anyone could see anything in a log to suggest the cause for a couple of pixelated frames and a few seconds of video freeze time, I'd be impressed, however I will post them tonight to satisfy curiosity.

I've reported problems with other Blurays in the past and magically a short time later a new version of DVDFab is released which solves the problem, however support don't like to advise you of this or thankyou for reporting a problem that costs you multiple blanks to rule out everything else.

As I asked before, I'd be interested if anyone has a later release of DVDFab than Jan 2011 and has ripped the 'main movie' only, successfully of HP 2, 3, 4 or 5 and if so, then a DVDFab upgrade may solve the issue. I didn't want to upgrade (if indeed there is one), try again and still see the same problem which basically repeats what I have done with my version over the people back in 2010 which reported the same problems.

For the record, my equipment is:
      i5 system, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, Windows 7
      Panasonic UJ-230 bluray burner connected via USB
      Panasonic DMP-BD65 standalone bluray player
      DVDFab version from mid-January 2011
      ImgBurn release updated to latest
      Burn speed at 2x
      Blank Media TDK BD-R 25gb and JVC BD-R 25gb (media not issue as PC rip shows same problem)

Settings within DVDFab are as follows:
      Bluray read - I/O mode - Auto, File Reading Mode - Internal,
      Bluray Write - Burning Engine - Imgburn, Bluray write speed 2x, Writeable Media Size BD-25 - 23700, BD-50 - 43700.
      Bluray Copy - Enable Full Scan, AVCHD - Create Restrict Compatible, Encoding Settings - Slow Speed/High Quality.

I'll post the logs tonight, cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        From my post you'd be aware the same problem has been reported by multiple people (sep 2010 is one thread I read) and there's nothing to suggest the problem lies with anything but the software doing the ripping, as the burning software (ImgBurn) doesn't even come into it because the problem exists in the rip on the PC. It was suggested it only happens when trying to compress onto a 25gb disc, however I am reporting that is not the case as the last 2 HP movies I tried fit on a disc with no compression.

The reason I didn't see the necessity to post the logs in the 1st place, is that most of the time, looking at the log, you'd be searching for an obvious problem like write speed, or the blank disc size or drive being used etc, none of those factors would be an issue in this case. If anyone could see anything in a log to suggest the cause for a couple of pixelated frames and a few seconds of video freeze time, I'd be impressed, however I will post them tonight to satisfy curiosity.

I've reported problems with other Blurays in the past and magically a short time later a new version of DVDFab is released which solves the problem, however support don't like to advise you of this or thankyou for reporting a problem that costs you multiple blanks to rule out everything else.

As I asked before, I'd be interested if anyone has a later release of DVDFab than Jan 2011 and has ripped the 'main movie' only, successfully of HP 2, 3, 4 or 5 and if so, then a DVDFab upgrade may solve the issue. I didn't want to upgrade (if indeed there is one), try again and still see the same problem which basically repeats what I have done with my version over the people back in 2010 which reported the same problems.

For the record, my equipment is:
        i5 system, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd, Windows 7
        Panasonic UJ-230 bluray burner connected via USB
        Panasonic DMP-BD65 standalone bluray player
        DVDFab version from mid-January 2011
        ImgBurn release updated to latest
        Burn speed at 2x
        Blank Media TDK BD-R 25gb and JVC BD-R 25gb (media not issue as PC rip shows same problem)

Settings within DVDFab are as follows:
        Bluray read - I/O mode - Auto, File Reading Mode - Internal,
        Bluray Write - Burning Engine - Imgburn, Bluray write speed 2x, Writeable Media Size BD-25 - 23700, BD-50 - 43700.
        Bluray Copy - Enable Full Scan, AVCHD - Create Restrict Compatible, Encoding Settings - Slow Speed/High Quality.

I'll post the logs tonight, cheers.
        Have you tried the latest beta? Also try setting your codecs all to software, you say you can burn the movie to the HDD and watch it and you can see the freezing problem? Your burner is hooked up through the USB not the most optimum way as all sorts of things can be going on there but thats reaching! I looked at some of the other posts and people have said the upgrade way back when fixed the freezing! People have posted having freezing issues with JackXXX 3D yet I did not have none! This software is never gonna be perfect but it does a great job, and I usually don't mind getting a movie to try and replicate the error but I could not bring myself to watch HP! You don't have to install the beta over your original install you can put it in another folder and make another desk top icon just to see if its any better.
        For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

I've done the potter series a while back with older versions of Fab, and the only problem encountered was the navigation problem. This is when you try to fast forward or skip to another chapter and the picture freezes while the audio carries on. The picture catches up after about 10 sec. Outside of that the movie plays fine. The navigation problems seem to have been fixed with the newer versions of fab. I don't expect the logs to show any pixelation as you said.
          It might be interesting to try an older version, and see if it does the same thing. At least your not wasting blank discs.

Comment

I noticed that you have BD25 set to 23700. Back it up to 23000 and try again. You are close to the edge of the disk. This may or may not be the problem. Get yourself a rewrite disk (BDRE) to stop making coasters. A 25gb disk is actually 23.8gb.

Comment

Working...
            X