Copy from disc on one BD writer to another BD writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy from disc on one BD writer to another BD writer

I was wondering whether I can just copy from a BD disc on a BD writer to another BD writer, thus bypassing the hard drive. For example, if I have a disc that needs no compression, can't I just write it to a blank BD disc on another BD writer?

My old HP DVD Writer is on its way to being replaced, and I thought why not replace it with a BD writer instead?

Any constructive thoughts? Thanks

BD to BD

I have two blueray writers and readers and I back up all my movies from Disc drive 1 to Disc drive 2 and I have had no problem, so yes I feel that it can be done as long as you have two writers.
    I also do this DVD to DVD.
    Thanks,hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTUTINO View Post
      I have two blueray writers and readers and I back up all my movies from Disc drive 1 to Disc drive 2 and I have had no problem, so yes I feel that it can be done as long as you have two writers.
      Thanks,hope this helps.
      You're misunderstanding the point AGJ is making.

Fab Blu-ray Copy will always create a temporary file when copying.
      This is by design; it is not an on-the-fly-decrypter.

When copying disc to disc, the temporary file (temporary directory) is deleted by default, but the user can choose to keep it by unticking
      "Delete temporary files when done".

Comment

from one BD writer to another

Originally posted by TUTUTINO View Post
        Thanks,hope this helps.
        How do you do it when you are copying a "Movie Only," which sometimes needs to have languages removed along with the HD sound to fit into a 25 GB disc? I know you can tell Drive 1 what you want. Are you able to have Drive 2 copy this information and render you a movie that you can play on a standalone BD player?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes you can but you are not understanding what ghas been said previously.

1. It is not recommended by most knowledgable users because of the stress on the BR reader when compression is required.
          2. No matter what you do, the temp file containing what you want written to the optical disk will always be written first.

Fab does NOT do it on-the-fly....
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Uncompressed

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            Yes you can but you are not understanding what ghas been said previously.

1. It is not recommended by most knowledgable users because of the stress on the BR reader when compression is required.
            2. No matter what you do, the temp file containing what you want written to the optical disk will always be written first.

Fab does NOT do it on-the-fly....
            Perhaps I didn't make it clear that I am referring to movies that don't have to be compressed - in other words, will fit into a blank 25 GB disc.

No matter how you go about it, there will always be stress placed on the Player/Writer. The only time it comes in handy to rip the entire disc to the hard drive first is if you're going to have DVDFab compress the movie. Otherwise, what are you saving if you have to copy an uncompressed movie to a folder on the HD then write it to a blank BD?

Thus, my query about going from one Blu ray player (with the BD in it) to another Blu ray writer (with a blank 25 GB disc in it).

Comment

You are saving the blank media as you will have playback issues doing on the fly writing. Computer will be slower due to this as well as not all computers have 25GB or more of memory on them.

DVDFab saves the files to computer in temp folder first before burning and will always do that. If you want on the fly burning then look into Nero or similar burning utility that does that. Then get DVDFab Passkey Blu-ray/DVD for the protection decryption and use that burning utility for what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by bearlight View Post
                Thus, my query about going from one Blu ray player (with the BD in it) to another Blu ray writer (with a blank 25 GB disc in it).
                Originally posted by regnad kcin View Post
                Fab Blu-ray Copy will always create a temporary file when copying.
                This is by design; it is not an on-the-fly-decrypter.

When copying disc to disc, the temporary file (temporary directory) is deleted by default, but the user can choose to keep it by unticking
                "Delete temporary files when done".
                Perhaps stated another way...

BD Copy works just like DVD Copy

Can a user put a BD disc in one drive and a blank in a BD burner and just click Start, walk away and come back with a burned BD copy?...Yes

Can this be done with what is essentially 1-click by the user?...Yes.

Was this actually 1-step?...well, not by Fab.

Now, assuming the default settings, ie, "Delete temporary files when done",
                it may "appear" as though Fab just burned directly to the blank media.
                However, Fab did no such thing.

If you observe the process, initially Fab will Open/Analyze.
                The process is then split into Task 1 and Task 2.

Task 1: Copying
                Fab is creating a temp file in the temp directory.

Task 2: Writing
                Fab is actually burning the disc.

Some users archive files to the hdd for burning at a later date, for playback on media players or for otherwise modifying files.
                In this case, Fab only completes Task 1 since the user chose a hdd location as Target; hence, no burn.

Some novice users, having unticked "Delete temporary files when done",
                will suddenly find themselves out of hdd storage and wondering what the heck happened.
                All the while Fab has been archiving these files to the hdd.

Hope this helps clear things up for you.
                Last edited by regnad kcin; 03-28-2011, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Wonderfully and clearly stated, regnad kcin.

Comment

Working...
                  X