Firewire bug in DVDFab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewire bug in DVDFab

After going through multiple checks with 3 blu-ray burners and 2 computers of different architecture (both running Windows 7 Ultimate). I have confirmed that DVDFab has a bug in dealing with external firewire blu-ray burners.

Whether using ImgBurn or VSO, the program fails to properly search for and recognize a blu-ray device with a burnable disk plugged into a firewire port. The window that "says" its testing a new disk for burnability occasionally stops as though the disk were checked out as burnable--and then doesn't burn anything--or most often hangs, spinning forever. At that point it is not possible to kill DVDFab completely--a hidden task is still listed in the task list--without completely rebooting the system.

P.S. There is no problem burning a folder saved to disk with DVDFab (Blu-Ray COPY FOLDER) using ImgBurn, when the ImgBurn is running independent of DVDFab, but if one attempts to do this within DVDFab (by selecting ImgBurn as the burner), ImgBurn hangs while searching for SCSI/ATAPI devices.

Hi alder0,

Maybe the FireWire port you are using to connect your extenal blu-ray burner to your computer is the problem. Can you try to change another one to see the result?

Which version did you use? Try installing the newest version of Imgburn 2.5.5.0.

If you still have the same problem, please post your burning logs which is under :
    on Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    on Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    on XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Thanks.
    Last edited by sunny; 04-11-2011, 06:34 AM.

Comment

As I indicated, I used different computers (obviously with different 1394 ports), different burners and different cables. This is NOT a hardware issue.

Comment

Originally posted by alder0 View Post
        As I indicated, I used different computers (obviously with different 1394 ports), different burners and different cables. This is NOT a hardware issue.
        Hi Alder0

Which build did you use,8085 or 8087Beta?

I'll check this,thanks for report.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by qbs.cn View Post
          Hi Alder0

Which build did you use,8085 or 8087Beta?

I'll check this,thanks for report.

Joe
          @JOE dvdFAB 8.0.8.7 (b)

Comment

I don't know anything about 8.0.8.7 beta, and, unless it's been consciously fixed, this bug has been around for some time (at least 6 months).

The appropriate way to deal with a bug report is to check it out.

Fengtao needs to use a reliable burner, like a LaCie d2, attach it to a Windows 7 Ultimate with a good Nvidia board and 1394 port (like a newer Qosmio x505) and actually publish the results of their tests.

Comment

Win7 did wreck the Firewire support...

Have you set the port to use 'Legacy' settings?
              Dell Studio XPS 8100
              Intel i7 860 @ 2.8 GHZ
              ATI Radon HD 5700 w/Catalyst 10.8

Comment

YES

Comment

As I said:
                  Fengtao needs to use a reliable burner, like a LaCie d2, attach it to a Windows 7 Ultimate with a good Nvidia board and 1394 port (like a newer Qosmio x505) and actually publish the results of their tests.

Comment

Note that I am using a Pioneer BDR-205 with latest firmware installed in the enclosure:
                    Bytecc 5.25"/3.5" USB 2.0/Firewire/e-SATA Enclosure, Oxford chipset, Model ME-535SSU3FW-BK

When I attach the BR via Firewire, both Nero and ImgBurn work flawlessly reading and writing to this drive with no problems. DvdFab will read a few bytes (lamp flashes a few seconds) and then DvdFab goes to sleep, locking up (no more flashes on the device access LED). I have to reboot to get all the IO back to normal.

Attaching this same BR in the Bytecfc device via USB 2.0 works with all software including DvdFab.

I would prefer to use DvdFab with the Firewire interface if possible. It has been failing on all DvdFab releases for the past year, up to current.

Any chance that Firewire support will be added to DvdFab in the future?

Thanks for a great product!

Comment

The model number was incorrect for the device above. It is:
                      BYTECC ME-535SSU2FW-BK

Comment

Firewire bug back

As of the last release of V8 and the newest release of V9, the bug is back using Win 7 64 and the Bytecc ME-535SSU2FW enclosure hosting a Pioneer BDR-205. I am back to having to unplug the firewire and plug in the USB 2.0 to read a disk (else it fails about 90% in).

Comment

Unrelated to the bug. Kyle do you find the firewire connection any faster than USB 2.0. Unless there has been some recent advancement in drive speed USB 2.0 should handle the data flow from a BR drive as fast as the drive can read/write.
                          How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Not any faster that I can see, no.

Comment

Thanks for the info Kyle.
                              How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X