X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy blu ray movie to external hard drive

Hi Guys,

How you all had a nice long weekend!

Can you please assist me! I have an external blu ray rewrite from LG (Super Multi Blue). I am trying to copy The Mechanic blu ray disc into my external hard drive as an ISO File.

I already changed the temp folder to be my external hard drive. At this time the movie in dvdfab show as copy process started - Source (00011.m2ts). Will dvdfab automatically change this to an ISO File or am I missing some thing?

Hope to hear back fom you all.

FC

The external drive should be your destination / target location.

The temp file should be left where it was. No need to have it on the external drive and might cause the process to take longer.

Comment

Target vs. Temp dir

If you want to make an ISO using the "Full Disc" or "Main Movie" option, yes you would want to change your temp dir (folder) to a drive that has room enough for it.
      Otherwise you will have to use the "Clone" option then select your Target drive in the Target field.

Please see the screen captures, discussion and instructions in this thread for further information ...

Make sure you read all the way to the bottom as there are additional screen shots and instructions.
      I just went through this issue and Senior Member AGJ helped me out. (Hats off to AGJ! Thanks again for your help. That's what DVDFabs forums are all about.)

Cheers!
      Last edited by Mdy4Blues; 05-30-2011, 10:16 PM.
      Hand Built PC - ECS RS400-A MoBo w/ 3.2ghz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, LG WH08LS20 Bluray burner, Sony DRU-842a DVD burner, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCIE card w/1gb vram, 650w PS, Windows XP Pro/SP3, Maxtor 200gb/160gb & Seagate 1TB internal HDDs. Samsung HDCP-compliant 23" TFT-LCD monitor, stereo speakers. (Life's the perfect thing to pass the time away.)

Comment

Hi Fernando1
        Another thing you have to make sure is that your external HDD is formatted to NTFS and not FAT32 as most of them come formatted as FAT32 and have a 4GB file limit size.
        CBR929

EDIT: I would also suggest you use ImgBurn as your burn engine to make your ISO you will find it here http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=33 along with a tutorial on setting it up with Fab.
        Last edited by CBR929; 05-31-2011, 03:02 AM. Reason: EDIT
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Gruñón View Post
          The external drive should be your destination / target location.

The temp file should be left where it was. No need to have it on the external drive and might cause the process to take longer.
          Agree 100% with my good friend Gruñón...no offense Mdy4Blues.

Unless Fernando 1 wanted to change the location of the temp directory
          (assuming a storage limitation), changing the location is an unnecessary complication for his purpose.

As long as the Target is his external hdd (and not a burner), the free space of the temp directory is of no consequence.
          This is true regardless of the mode (ie., Main movie, Full Disc or Clone and also true whether or not you have ticked or unticked
          Delete temorary files when done.

Realistically of course, the temp directory location should have more than adequate "room"

@Mdy4Blues

Fab is exhibiting very strange behavior for you...or should I say is misbehaving....

Just to check if something had changed with 8092 QT, I did some testing.

I just ripped The King's Speech BD in all 3 "movie" modes modes to a "Target" external hdd.
          I intentionally changed the temp directory to a hdd with less free space than the required size.
          In the main movie mode for eg., the required size was 29.6 GB.

The rip completed without incident to the G: hdd in all 3 modes.
          (I cheated and only ticked the delete temp directory once...my default setting is unticked anyway).

Not sure if this helps or further complicates the issue at hand, but the temp directory shouldn't matter in this instance.
          Last edited by maineman; 05-31-2011, 03:43 AM.
          If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Absolutely NO offense taken maineman, good buddy! (we're on the same team!) Good to know that there may be something "scweewie" going on here ... as Elmer Fudd would say.

At any rate, if one way doesn't work, there's always the other. Thanks so much for posting your tried results. But also remember I ripped to an internal and not an external drive in my attempts. That may be the difference. I will try again with some alternate settings to see if I can achieve the same results you have. I'm thinking Fernando1 now has all the information needed to accomplish his task. I do have an Iomega USB 2.0 terrabyte external drive on one of my other machines. I can try pulling it off and doing the deed to see if I can duplicate your results. I'll try a different BD also and give it a shot and post back later. Again, that's what DVDFabs forums are all about. People helping others and finding ways to make things work for those who may need assistance.

Cheers!
            Last edited by Mdy4Blues; 05-31-2011, 05:03 AM. Reason: Added info
            Hand Built PC - ECS RS400-A MoBo w/ 3.2ghz Pentium 4, 1.5 GB RAM, LG WH08LS20 Bluray burner, Sony DRU-842a DVD burner, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT PCIE card w/1gb vram, 650w PS, Windows XP Pro/SP3, Maxtor 200gb/160gb & Seagate 1TB internal HDDs. Samsung HDCP-compliant 23" TFT-LCD monitor, stereo speakers. (Life's the perfect thing to pass the time away.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mdy4Blues View Post
              Good to know that there may be something "scweewie" going on here ... as Elmer Fudd would say.
              Yeah, good thought about the ext vs. internal hhd, but I screwed up with my explanation.
              When I tested, I had a media server connected so I was looking at 8 hdds.
              Turns out both the temp location and the Target were internal and not ext.
              Oh well, sorry 'bout that...

In the words of Bugs Bunny,
              "What a Maroon!"...

Still, it "shouldn't" matter, but this wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
              I swear, sometimes this stuff is like Voodoo.

Like you said,
              At any rate, if one way doesn't work, there's always the other
              If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Conclusion ...

Ok, after connecting the Iomega external terrabyte hard drive the scenario did NOT change for me. Even though I made the target (destination) to a temp folder on a 233 gig partition of the external drive, I STILL got the warning that there wasn't enough room in the Fab temp folder of the C drive. (I had redirected the temp folder in Fab's general settings back to its default location, C:\documents and settings\user name\my documents\dvdfab\temp. I have always kept my boot/system drive small, lean and mean so I could do scan discs, defrags and virus scans without it taking hours and hours) If I tried to use "Full Disc" or "Main Movie" I still got the warning. Only if I chose "Clone" would it allow me to choose the destination to the drive I wanted. Otherwise, I would HAVE to go back in and change the temp location in Fab's general settings. Maybe this is just a quirk that my machine has. I don't know. Perhaps others have had different experiences? Anyone?

Hopes this answers a few questions and helps others.

Cheers!

(BTW, process completed in 23 min., mounted with DVDFab's Virtual Drive and played "Surrogates" perfectly via the external USB 2.0 HD in PDVD9, ver.2320a)
                Last edited by Mdy4Blues; 06-03-2011, 09:16 PM. Reason: addn'l info

Comment

Working...
                X