Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Clone and Branching

Couple questions,

Blu Ray Clone? Is this the same as doing a full-disc copy to HDD?

Also, I have been reading a lot about movies with multiple .m2ts files that make up the main movie.

Almost every movie has multiple .m2ts files, but I have never encountered a situation where I would need to combine any. Have I been missing this in my backup projects? How will I know if I encounter one of these discs?

Hijack post moved to new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by eightysix View Post
      Blu Ray Clone? Is this the same as doing a full-disc copy to HDD?
      No, it's not the same. Clone, as it sounds, a complete copy of your disc (including all protection). Full-disc copy is copy of entire decrypted (protection removed) disc.

Almost every movie has multiple .m2ts files,
      Correct

but I have never encountered a situation where I would need to combine any. Have I been missing this in my backup projects? How will I know if I encounter one of these discs?
      You just worry too much about something you shouldn't even care. DVDFab takes care all of it for you. That's what you paid for when purchased this software
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by eightysix View Post
        Also, I have been reading a lot about movies with multiple .m2ts files that make up the main movie.

Almost every movie has multiple .m2ts files, but I have never encountered a situation where I would need to combine any. Have I been missing this in my backup projects? How will I know if I encounter one of these discs?
        Most main titles are authored as a single .m2ts file. Yet, there are many disks in which the main title is authored as multiple .m2ts files -- this is called seamless branching. This is often done to support multiple languages. A couple examples: Disney's UP and Prince of Persia.

If you are using DVD Fab to rip a full disk to burn onto BD-R, there is no need to be concerned. The confusion comes in when trying to just rip the main title and DVD Fab presents you with multiple main title selections. In that case you need to first play the disk in your BD player, select the title in your language from the menu and once the movie is playing, use the players OSD to see which title # is playing. Then you go back into DVD Fab and select that title # when you do the main title rip.

As in the case of a full disk rip, if you are using DVD Fab to rip the main title and burn to BD-R, you need not be concerned about seamless branching. Your BD player will read the playlist file which tells it the proper sequence of .m2ts files to play.

The only time you need to be concerned about seamless branching is if your intent is to use DVD Fab to rip the main title to your server or NAS unit for streaming playback over your network using a media player (this is what I do). Only the most expensive media players know how to read the playlist to properly sequence and play the multiple .m2ts files. The reasonably priced media players do not and only play .m2ts files directly. In that case you would need to stitch together the multiple .m2ts files when you rip a seamless branching title -- DVD Fab BluRay Copy does not do that. You would need to use a separate helper utility after DVD Fab, such as xxxxxx or xxxxxx, to stitch them together.
        Last edited by Complication; 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM. Reason: general policy violation
        Life is too short to drink bad wine . . .

Comment

Originally posted by kelson View Post
          The only time you need to be concerned about seamless branching is if your intent is to use DVD Fab to rip the main title to your server or NAS unit for streaming playback over your network using a media player (this is what I do). Only the most expensive media players know how to read the playlist to properly sequence and play the multiple .m2ts files. The reasonably priced media players do not and only play .m2ts files directly. In that case you would need to stitch together the multiple .m2ts files when you rip a seamless branching title -- DVD Fab BluRay Copy does not do that. You would need to use a separate helper utility after DVD Fab, such as xxxxxx or xxxxxx, to stitch them together.
          If you are looking for a single M2TS file to play via a media player then you would use DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper instead of the Copy module. Ripper can output a single M2TS or MKV file with your selected title and audio stream.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
            If you are looking for a single M2TS file to play via a media player then you would use DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper instead of the Copy module. Ripper can output a single M2TS or MKV file with your selected title and audio stream.
            Interesting. I'll have to take a look at the Ripper module and put it through it's paces.
            Life is too short to drink bad wine . . .

Comment

Working...
            X