Beta version or 8.1.0.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta version or 8.1.0.5?

Being relatively new to Blu-ray copy. Could someone explain if I should download the Beta version released July 29th or keep using 8.1.0.5?
    Please provide information on what the difference is and the benefits. Or direct me where to learn? What is Beta compared to the regular download?

Originally posted by unclebubbies View Post
    Being relatively new to Blu-ray copy. Could someone explain if I should download the Beta version released July 29th or keep using 8.1.0.5?
    Please provide information on what the difference is and the benefits. Or direct me where to learn? What is Beta compared to the regular download?
    For the official releases and whats new and updated

And for the latest beta releases and whats updated

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Thanks for the links. I have read them but still don't understand if I should use Beta version or the current version dated 7-4-11?
      What are the differences or benefits? Why is there more than one programs to choose from? What decides which one I download and use?

Comment

Beta versions are just that, not final releases (retail versions).
        Translation...there may be glitches/bugs present in the beta versions.
        I have to say, with Fengtao's beta's, big problems are generally pretty rare.
        Also, the final releases are not without the occasional or a specific, persistent issue.

I generally install the beta versions when released and I rarely have revert to a more stable version.

IMO, the best practice is to install the beta version in a separate and distinct folder, thus insuring that both the beta and your previous version will run independently...ie., the beta installation will not overwrite the previous install.

Hope this helps.
        If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow. | Lauren Bacall | "To Have and Have Not" (1944).

Comment

Thank You! This really helps. I looked up in the dictionary what "beta" means and it said "free software for the testing" or something like that. So I guess since the "beta" version was available for download on 7-29-11 I should download it and see if it works for me. If not...use the current official version dated 7-4-11 Correct?

Comment

I have about 7 different versions of Fab on my computer as maineman stated you can install in different folders but they will keep giving you the same desktop icon. So if you have Fab installed change the icon to say Fab81 then your new install will put another icon on the desktop, I usually don't install betas until the final comes out not that I have problems with them but the last version installed works just fine for me!
            For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            or Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            or for XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal and Burn log(s)and post right here.

Comment

Everybody has a method to their madness. I install a final release version and simply use it, ignoring all updates, until I run into a disk that it won't work on (which has become very infrequent). So when that happens, I'll upgrade to the latest final release version. If by some chance the latest final release won't work for the problem disk, I'll update to the latest beta.

In either case, once I get a version that works for the disk that prompted me to upgrade, I will continue to use that version until the next problem disk.
              Life is too short to drink bad wine . . .

Comment

Working...
              X